2012 Peterbilt 386 adding gauges

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Exolorerguy94, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Exolorerguy94

Exolorerguy94 Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2018
    I just bought a 2012 386. Love the truck, but it' llacking in the gauge department. I'e b trying to read up on what it would take to add more. What I think I've figured out, is that the newer Pete's, like the 386 have something called a multiplex behind the dash. Basically all I would need to do is add the gauges, and daisy chain them into the existing wiring. Am I correct in this, or is it much more involved, and I should keep researching?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Yup you are right. Add them in, daisy chain the wiring, install the sensors if needed, then have tbe dealer hookup to the computer and have the new gauges enabled.

4. ThomasTrueTrucker

ThomasTrueTrucker Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2018
    Peterbilts are all wired for every gauge available, and they are named behind each dash panel. Roberts450 is correct, just buy the gauges, sending units where needed and you'll have all 22 or so after some hard work!

5. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    All the gauges do daisy chain in with each other. What is not wired is all the external wiring going to the sensors. If you want to add an axle temp gauge, you need to install a sensor, wire it to the CECU in the cab, install the gauge and daisy chain, then get the CECU programmed for the new gauge. Exterior wiring is the hardest part of adding new gauges.

6. Exolorerguy94

Mar 4, 2018
    Is the programming something that has to be done at a dealer, or any shop that's able to work on paccar stuff?

7. pushbroom

Sep 1, 2012
    More then likely the dealer. There isnt too many shops with the ESA program

8. Exolorerguy94

Mar 4, 2018
    So I should probably get that done before I delete the dpf system? I'e h that no dealerships will work in a deleted truck.

9. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Whomever does delete for you has to use ESA for a portion of it. If not then you are not getting done properly.

10. Exolorerguy94

Mar 4, 2018
    Good to know. I'm just now getting into it all. I'e driven company trucks that I couldn't do anything with. I've still got so much to learn. Lol

11. pushbroom

Sep 1, 2012
    Depends what dealer. Some do some dont. I have yet to see an official document they cant. Trucks a truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.