2012 Peterbilt defrost work only

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Timbo27, Mar 30, 2018.

1. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    This is what your HVAC system looks like. #4 is the mode motor that changes your modes from floor, vent, defrost, etc. Kind of a bear to get mode actuator. Remove center dash panel and its down there. Unbolt motor and see if drum is stuck or motor responds to commands. I have seen them bind and can get to work by unbolting them and re-bolting. Also fished out a couple pens! The P/N of motor supercedes to SR2000017. Let us know what you find.

Attached Files:

JohnC123, pushbroom and Goodysnap Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Timbo27

Timbo27 Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Thanks a lot I'm trying to get there

4. Timbo27

Timbo27 Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Ok so
    Ok so I take out center console and couldn't see much so I kept tearing into it. Lol
    Make a long story short all I had to do was take the glove box out reach my hand inside that big Center duck to free it up as I was switching from defrost to vent. Not sure why but it was jammed. Thanks for your help.

Jdyck94 Thanks this.
  5. Timbo27

Timbo27 Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2018
    So all I needed to do was take the glove box out and give the door a little help a few times and it's free.
    Thanks for the help and have a very blessed day!

spsauerland and pushbroom Thank this.
  6. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Sunflower seeds jammed up that fell though?
    Good to hear its working again.
    In pickups its usually 22 shells that fall into the defrost vents. They all rattle out eventually

spsauerland Thanks this.
  7. Timbo27

Timbo27 Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2018

8. Timbo27

Timbo27 Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I never did see anything but My Lesson Learned was Keeping my dashboard clean I guess.

spsauerland and Goodysnap Thank this.
  9. jersey01

jersey01 Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Vernon N.J.
    I have same problem. Wont switch to defrost on my 386. Anyone have a pic as to where that actuator is. Last 6 of vin are 206339. Thanks in advance

10. ozzee39

ozzee39 Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2019
    2017 peterbilt PB330 Cummins engine HM319044 a/c stuck in defrost mode wont switch modes changed the mode select actuator it has the hot /code actuator and another actuator I think is the recirculation air door now I can see them turning but it doesn't seem to be moving the rod to switch it to vent

11. randyh

randyh Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2020
    I know this is an old post, but it helped me out. I have a 2011 Peterbilt 386 and the defrost did not work. Air coming out of face vents and floor vents and switching back and forth no problem, not no air out the defroster. Out of frustration after I had the dash apart and the covers off the bottom, I called the Peterbilt dealer and the helpful guy there told me where to look. It's just like the pdf's in the first post, you get to it from behind the gauges. Also have to take out the radio and heater controls. I had to take out the duct going up to the dash defrost vents. A load seal tag had fallen down defrost vent and kept the drum from turning all the way to defrost. Pulled it out and all worked fine. Just a side note, the controls started working funny, like when the fan was off you could see the controls were turning the drum like they should. When fan was turned on it went to defrost mode and stayed there. What happened was one of the dash panels was pushing the trailer brake lever down and drained my batteries. Jumped the truck and worked fine.

Goodysnap Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.