2012 prostar with maxxforce 13 losing power

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Eddozer, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cordiealonso

cordiealonso Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2020
    hello where can I find this valve online to purchase?

4. Eddozer

Eddozer Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2019
  5. Dangra

Dangra Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Saskatoon, Sk
    Hi, I couldn't load the vid for some reason. What was the problem and the repair? Was the low pressure problem affecting your turbo boost as well? I'm having similar problems and you can feel it in the lower gears, there just isn't the torque there should be. I find it will hold its own at driving speed but you have to be at full throttle most of the time, which I think is costing me at least 1 mpg.

6. Dangra

Dangra Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Saskatoon, Sk
    Hi. Never mind. The vid loaded for me and it was awesome. Nice job.
    Great video, who whould have thought huh?

Eddozer Thanks this.
  7. Wickedchicken

Wickedchicken Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2020
    Hey guys, so my situation is weird. I have a 2012 international prostar with the maxxforce 13 engine. Im experiencing loss of power on launch and uphill. You can especially feel the loss of power when loaded with just 10k lbs. my mechanic also mentioned that the engine fault is related to fuel pressure. I’ve been grappling this issue this year and 2018. The guy who I purchased the truck from states that he took it everywhere including an international dealer and nobody can figure out the problem. So im leaning on fuel pump and no i dont want to spend $4000 for replacing fuel pump ill just hold up traffic hauling empty trailers around. Ill just replace the high pressure valve heavyD was talking about here.

But the weird symptom that I am having with this truck is that when i drive it when i first start it (its an automatic) and when i come to a full stop at a red light the gear stays at 2 and seems to have some power on launch (but obviously not normal power). BUT then after i drive it for a longer and come to a full stop the gears change to 1 and this is where it is extremely low power. It takes A LONG time to reach 35mph. BUT when i see the gear is at 1 and im stopped at the red light, ill turn off the engine and restart it and then its back with a little bit more power and the gear starts on 2.

guys any thoughts, advice or input would help a brother in need out. Thank you ahead of time

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    2nd gear is the default starting gear when you first key on. Once you start from a stop and engine detects the load from your trailer, it will request 1st from then on, until the next key start. So that is normal.

9. Wickedchicken

Nov 6, 2020
    HeavyD true, however i dont have a trailer when this happens

10. Wickedchicken

Nov 6, 2020
    HeavyD By the way, i ordered what seems to be the fuel limiting valve from the link Eddozer posted. This one on amazon is $42 while the dealer one is $500. Any thoughts on which one to purchase with respect to quality in mind? Im guessing the amazon one is aftermarket

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Is it used? I don't get into parts. I recommend genuine. Lots of counterfeit parts out there. As for your loss of power, your next step is to get it scanned and see what the actual codes are in both the engine and transmission.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.