2013 Columbia electrical issue

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by ChicagoJohn, Mar 18, 2019.

1. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    I'm having wierd electrical issues with my truck. If I press the window switches on the driver door, the dash resets, the trailer lights come on and my engine fan engages. Is there a common point where all these lines cross or could I have a ground issue? I've checked all the main ground lines and they're all tight. Both my mechanics and I are dumb founded.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I had some weird electrical issues with my 2007 Columbia.
    After some serious head scratching I pulled my driver window switches out and turned them over and found out when the window was down part way in a light rain storm water had gotten in the switch and pooled in the bottom creating corrosion which caused all kinds of funky cross connections and back feeds.
    After looking at the video I would say you have the same problem.

ChicagoJohn Thanks this.
  4. ChicagoJohn

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    I will try that

Hulld Thanks this.
  5. ChicagoJohn

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    Nope, changing the switch didn't change a thing. I'm almost certain I have a grounding issue. I just can't figure out where the problem is.

6. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Did you look for corrosion on the bottom of the switch?
    And did you check both door switches as the switches are tie together somewhat in the circuitry?

7. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Remove lower left kick panel. Check all 3 square connectors coming out of A pillar for corrosion. Must unplug all 3 and check inside plugs.

ChicagoJohn Thanks this.
  8. ChicagoJohn

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    For some reason I think it's a crossed wire in the door. I turned the ignition off and the truck kept running until I closed the door, then it shut off. Things are getting weirder and weirder.

9. ChicagoJohn

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    It's not inside the door and the post is fine, but I think I narrowed it down to a bad ground from the batteries to the frame. With a ground line connected to one of the batteries there's an arc when I recreate the problem. Only the one battery that has the connection to the frame. My shop is going to take apart all the ground lines clean them and see if that corrects the issues. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that's the cause of my electrical issues.

10. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
  11. ChicagoJohn

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    So it was a ground issue. We had to come up with an alternative solution. The ground post on the frame back by the batteries is toast. We were afraid we were going to snap the post off, so instead we ran another ground wire off the frame near the starter and grounded that to the cab. Problem solved. Although I now get an occasional squeal from the cb, but it comes and goes. When I have more time I'll completely clean the back post and replace the ground wire, but it was late and I had to deliver in the morning.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.