2013 Maxxforce 9/10 rough running and codes when cold

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Trucktek78, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Trucktek78

Trucktek78 Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2018
    I have a 2013 Maxxforce 9/10 that runs rough and codes 3661 fmi 5 injector 3 close coil open circuit, 3662 fmi 5 injector 4 close coil open circuit, 653 fmi 4 injector 3 open coil short circuit, 654 fmi 4 injector 4 open coil short circuit. It only seems to do it when it's cold and once it builds a little heat it's fine, ICP pressure at idle is around a steady 1000 psi, fuel pressure is at 70 psi, the number 3 & 4 injectors and injectoer harness have been previously replaced and the problem remained, once I got it I did test the harness from the ecm and found no issues with the circuit checks, I haven't went to much further into it yet. I was wondering if any techs here knew of any common issues that cause this problem on these. We have Mitchell Heavy Duty and I am using JPRO, we did have factory software but it expired, I work at WWWilliams Detroit but we work on all makes and models. I just wanted some advice from some more experienced IH techs before I spent too much of the customers money troubleshooting this, Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Injector coil resistance is 1 ohm +/- 0.5 ohms. It should be also completely open to ground. The coils do short out internally, go open and will also short to the injector body internally. So all pin point electrical checks are necessary. These injectors are also a higher failure part and getting only 3 - 4 years out of an injector is normal. Since the harness has been replaced, I would say you are looking at injectors. I know it is expensive. But I highly recommend replacing all 6, installing new high pressure oil adapters (pucks) between the high pressure rail and injectors and install a new ICP sensor while you are in there. If not, 6 months from now, you'll be back in there for another injector.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  4. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    One of those here. One injector every 6 - 10 months or so. Only three left to go.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  5. Trucktek78

Apr 17, 2018
    Thanks for the advice, I may have forgot to mention that injectors 3 and 4 were replaced at the same time as the injector harness, and the original problem remained with those two injectors. Does the engine harnesses or ecm ever cause this problem on these? I'm just getting it back into the shop this morning to go back over what the other tech has done, it's in a Work Star chassis which does not seem to be tech friendly!

6. Trucktek78

Apr 17, 2018
    I'm going to go back through and test the wiring from the ecm through each injector coil and back to the ecm first however these Mitchell wiring diagrams suck! it doesn't really tell me which ecm connector is which but it shouldn't be difficult to figure out.

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    No, these trucks are not liked by too many mechanics. Connector on the ECM for the injectors will be the 36 pin one, or the one by itself. There should be two twin 76 pin connectors on the other side of the ECM. Pay close attention to the connector and pins at the rocker cover.

8. Trucktek78

Apr 17, 2018
    Thank you for the advice, I removed a few things to get myself a little more room to work, I tested the injector coils from the ecm 36 pin connector through the harness and injectors and back to the ecm on all six injectors, all measurements came back at .9-1.0 ohms, I wiggled the connector at the valve cover with no variation on my multimeter, and I did wiggle all areas of the harness that I could reach with no changes in resistance. I also tested for shorts to the other circuits in the 36 pins harness from each injector circuit and there are none, also tested each injector circuit for any shorts to ground, none, all O/L. I unplugged the connector at the valve cover and the pin drag on the pins seem nice and snug, same with the 36 pin connector at the ecm. Once back together it started coding for number 3 & 4 injectors again and running like crap. I would like to try a test ecm but unfortunately we don't have one and understandably the IH dealer is reluctant to loan their test ecm out, I may try to talk the boss into sending it to the IH dealer although I'd love to be able to say for sure I don't want to buy an ecm to "test" it and find out that's not the problem, it's not fair to the customer.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  9. Trucktek78

Apr 17, 2018
    I forgot to mention that when it codes for the number 3 & 4 injectors it codes for opens and shorts for the coils almost all at the same time

10. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Cat ACERT ECM will do that when injector drivers fail.

11. Trucktek78

Apr 17, 2018
    I have had that issue with the Cat engines but I'm just a little gun shy on these because I haven't worked on them enough to know them very well.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.