2013 Prostar Plus Question - Need your opinion

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by jhracing, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Are you shopping at an International dealer? Any dealer can look this up for you. The salesman should have no problem answering your questions.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldstruck

Oldstruck Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2018
    @Heavyd I have at the local dealerships. I have expanded my search to other dealership. Of course they don't want to help if you're buying elsewhere and not real friendly with answering questions over the phone to a guy that's just "inquiring". Trucks that are not local they want you to pay a no refundable transfer fee. I have driven to other dealership and they are than willing to help but then starts the countless follow up calls and emails

4. CoachT

CoachT Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Can you check one out for me it’s a 2013 last 8 of vin is DN415240 thanks in advance

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    All warranty expired. No recalls. Shows ECM is current.
    It has one of the shortest warranty lists I have seen.
    EGR valve in 15
    EGR cooler in 14
    fuel pump in 14
    Rest is small minor stuff.

6. janos27

janos27 Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    @Heavyd Good afternoon. Need a bit of help. We got over here international prostar with MF13 engine inside and we are having similar problems as posted in a thread. We did some readings and did the test that you described in the thread. I had a driver driving a truck with me on a passenger seat hooked up with a computer on service max reading the pressures and %.It goes like this 30k lb trailer hooked up to a truck working temperature of a truck was around 170f my fuel rail pressures were going from 28k psi up to 32 depending on the load , both desired and actual one were doing fine and my fuel pump % were going from 40 down to 30 - 25 % but not lower then that , once the truck hit the temperature around 190f and between 9th and 10th gear after couple miles down and up the road my fuel pump % started to go as down as 5 , i read on the thread that you said that 5% = 0 and a fuel pump needs to be replaced but only confusing thing was that you didnt say if and when the fuel pump drops to 5% working capacity what happens with fuel rail pressures cause myn are staying the same 24k psi up to 32 but the truck is hauling ### , speeding up from 0 to 60 takes forever and my fuel rail psi slowly pumping up to 32 k but the fuel pump goes 5% on full load. My question is does those 2 have anything to do with each other or its a 100% to change the fuel pump?

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yeah, sorry, that is confusing sometimes. So your fuel pump needs to generate 32k psi under full load. A healthy fuel pump will never be lower than about 20% duty cycle to achieve this. The lower the percentage means the fuel pump is working harder to make higher pressure. The percentage just never goes lower than 5%, that is as low as it goes. So at 5% duty cycle, that pump is working as hard as it possibly can. At that point, if your desired rail fuel pressure is 30-32k, but actual is only 24-28k, then the pump is worn out and needs replacement. You will see this when fully hot, and not so much cooler. For sure your pump is at the end of its life. How is your overall intake manifold pressure and turbocharger 2 outlet pressure, (TC2TOP-which is basically your exhaust back pressure)?

8. janos27

janos27 Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Exhaust back pressure was going up to 5% and my intake manifold desired was 43 and actual was roundish 38. Another thing maybe you didnt get me right , when fuel pump went fully warm and 5% operating power my fuel rail pressure didnt drop it was still the same it just needed time to build it up to 30k psi cause truck was hauling its ### and was speeding up really bad , if the truck sees the hill it gets scared and doesnt wanna speed up or pull as its supposed too. Also another strange thing , TCU is programmed to start from the 3rd gear no Mater the hill or weight in the back of the trailer and once this problem occurs and fuel pump goes to 5% working capacity the truck starts to downshift it to 1st gear (just a heads up). Also forgot to tell you that the codes that were popping up were 3055 fmi 15 and 3055 fmi 0 , i checked everything that you guys were talking in a thread , from cleaning the grounds to checking for visible fuel leaks , changing fuel filters etc...

9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Exhaust back pressure was 5%, or 5 psi? I want to know the psi. 5 psi is max allowable and can rob you of power. You can select a lower default starting gear by downshifting after you select drive. It should always use that new starting gear until you shut off the truck.
    Getting both 3055 - 15 (fuel rail pressure below commanded), and 3055 - 0(fuel rail pressure over commanded) is another sure sign your pump is failing. You get the 3055 - 0 for over pressure when you are under full load and the pump is at max duty cycle for fuel pressure and then you let off the throttle. The pump will actually over shoot and make too much pressure at that point when demanded drops to about 10k or so when the pump was trying all it could to make the previously demanded 32k. When under load, the lower fuel pressure does rob significant power as less fuel gets injected due to the lower pressure.

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  10. janos27

janos27 Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    We will give it a shot and replace a pump after new year and we will keep you posted whether we got problem fixed or not. Anyway thank you for response and help and wish you all the best in 2019.

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    You too. Happy New Year!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.