2013 prostar taking a crap after getting it repaired.

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by newguai, Aug 10, 2019.

1. newguai

newguai Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2013
    I have a 2013 international prostar. I needed a new turbo about a month ago, I had both changed. 3 weeks ago I started losing coolant slowly and check the egr which was slightly wet so i had both coolers replaced before it became a bigger problem. After replacing the egr I started getting alot of codes, 20 plus, all intermittent and related to turbo or egr and most related to voltage, shorts or open circuits. 2 mechanics said it was the engine harness so I replaced it and with it the air control valve which was required because of a new design. Now I still have a bunch of codes, mostly the same as the consistant ones before.

Codes: spn-fmi :
    Active:
    27-4 egrp signal out of range low
    2791-5 egrc open load / circuit
    5542-15 tc1top above desired
    Healing (intermittent, not going away):
    5541-2 tc1top does not agree with BARO
    5541-3 tc1top out of range high

There were other codes present before changing the harness, all were voltage related.

Are these current codes related? Is there a common ground or connector somewhere that may damaged? I know the 2 inactive ones are related to a senor in the air control valve and both the part and the harness are brand new. My hair is falling out and no mechanic seems to know what to do at this point.

I have NED. The tc1top currently reads either 72.5 psi and 4.94v, even with engine off/ key on or ERROR.

I'm thinking this has to be electrical but at this point I dont know what to check. Could the egr valve and exhaust back pressure valve have both conveniently gone bad or is there something the mechanics ####ed up, I dont know.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. newguai

newguai Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Just wanted to add, theres also a preliminary fmi: turbocharger wastegate actuator 1 - voltage above normal or shorted to high source

4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Clear your codes, road test and see what comes back.

baha Thanks this.
  5. newguai

newguai Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Done four times. The 55 41 and 42 just switch between active and healing. It looks like all these codes require 2 Cycles because after I clear and drive there's no check engine light, the second time I turn on the truck the light comes back on.

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Ok, so basically you are looking at just TC1TOP codes, which is basically your exhaust back pressure. Under full load, this should never be more than 5 psi. If it is, this means your exhaust is plugged. If you get anything other than zero psi at just key on, engine not running, then you have a sensor and/or wiring problem to look into. If you are still getting 5541-3 for out of range high, then look into the connector pins to make they are ok and not spread.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.