2013 Volvo D13 showing codes

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Ljhillukka, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Ljhillukka

Ljhillukka Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2020
    Hey there,
    My dad’s truck is putting up lights that he can’t find out what they mean. When he looked at the codes, he couldn’t figure out what that meant either. He brought it to a truck shop and they couldn’t find out what it meant either, even with their computers.
    One of the codes is: SPN 4813 FMI 3
    The other code is: SPN 5443 FMI 7
    If anyone knows what they are for, I would be thankful to know.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    SPN 4813, Engine Oil Thermostat Bypass Valve Opening
    FMI 3- Voltage above normal, or shorted to high source
    I don't have any experience dealing with this issue, but the possible causes listed are faulty actuator or faulty wiring harness. I don't know if it is connected to the next code.

SPN 5443, Aftertreatment 1 Hydrocarbon Dosing System
    FMI 7- Mechanical system not responding properly
    This one is the 7th injector, which is in a box mounted on the pipe after the turbocharger. There are 2 coolant lines running to it, and one fuel line. I've seen a video where someone removed the doser with the lines still attached to clean it. Usually you would drain the coolant from the truck, then detach all the lines and remove the doser. The possible causes listed are with the fuel line, an obstructed/dirty doser, or the aftertreatment dosing module.

Ljhillukka Thanks this.
  4. Ljhillukka

Ljhillukka Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2020

what is the purpose of the 7th injector?

5. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    It shoots fuel in to the aftertreatment system to burn off the soot in a regen. It's after the turbo. The line comes from the box Tom mentioned low on the left side of the block and feeds in to the top of the pipe just past the turbo. That part is really easy to see with the hood open.

To get more help post this in the Volvo section (heavy duty trucks/18 wheelers) where the mechanics will see it.

Ljhillukka and loudtom Thank this.
  6. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    I will try and find my SPN list tomorrow for you.

7. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    4813 is def line heater circuit
    5443 its the aftertreatment hydrocarbon doser module

8. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    3 post for the same thing. Seriously 1 post is needed.

9. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    I'm showing 4354 and 4356 as DEF heater line codes.

10. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    U are right sorry I looked at it wrong.

11. Mudman78

Mudman78 Light Load Member

May 23, 2016
    SPN 4813, Engine Oil Thermostat Bypass Valve Opening FMI 3- Voltage above normal, or shorted to high source:

Oil cooler thermostat valve is mounted to the oil filter housing. There are two. The horizontal one is the oil thermostat. The vertical one is the piston cooling valve. Check the connector and if it looks good, replace the thermostat. Held on by two metric allen head screws. You'll have to work it back and forth to get it to pop out. The O-rings hold it in there pretty good.

SPN 5443, Aftertreatment 1 Hydrocarbon Dosing System FMI 7- Mechanical system not responding properly:

This is the 7th injector. It sprays raw fuel into the exhaust system after the turbo to activate the DPF filter regen process. Then purges the line with air after the regen is done. More than likely, the control valve is stuck closed. Follow the line from the 7th injector around the back of the block to the drivers side just above the oil pan. There's a test you can run in TechTool, otherwise you're replacing expensive parts without knowing if it's definitely the problem.

Oil cooler thermostat part # 23013323 $250-$300
    Fuel/air purge valve part # 23185531 $450-$600 + $140 core

loudtom - "There are 2 coolant lines running to it, and one fuel line. I've seen a video where someone removed the doser with the lines still attached to clean it. Usually you would drain the coolant from the truck, then detach all the lines and remove the doser."
    You are confusing the hydrocarbon doser (7th injector) with the DEF doser. The DEF doser has two coolant lines & a DEF line and can be removed to clean without draining the cooling system. The hydrocarbon doser module only has two fuel lines and one air line.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    loudtom and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.