2014? 388 brake light problem

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by BoxCarKidd, May 8, 2018.

1. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Truck was occasionally blowing a fuse for the right rear and left front turn signal. The fuse is located in a box in front of the drivers side in front of the fire wall.
    Found two wires out of and under the plastic cover. The rear cross member rubbed through the insulation. The other wire is for the B/U alarm. Repaired the wires and it worked fine for a week. Now the right brake light stays on all the time, even with the key off. All other lights work fine, truck and trailer. If the fuse that was blowing is removed it goes out. The light stays on with all fuses and relays removed from that box except one. It also stays on with all of them behind the clutch pedal and the other bushell behind the speedo and tach removed. I have unplugged every air switch I can find to no avail.
    I am thanking a body control or turn signal module? Then it surely won't plug and play? The turn switch only has four telephone sized wires to it. Wonder if it just needs a button pusher to reset it after the short? The dealer is 2 1/2 hours away but there is a KW much closer.
    Only have the dash gutted out of the drivers area.
    That is were I am at. Any experience and suggestions appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Is the light on as brightly as normal brake lights or just ghosting? Sometimes led lights will be dimly lit from the chassis node. Normal operation.
    So wiring is as follows, turn stalk module to the CECU. CECU datalinked to the chassis node. Chassis node has about 7 or so powers coming from the fuse box on the firewall. Chassis node then sends out the signal to appropriate light. Normal rub spots for chassis node power wiring are by the drivers cab mount bracket, the P clamps right after, and then when it wraps around the bottom side of the frame by the batt box.

Right rear turn/stop is powered by fuse G3. G3 also powers left front turn.
    If you pulled all the fuses from the cab that eliminates the CECU.
    All you have left is shorted wiring to power or defective chassis node.
    On the chassis node, white connector, pin 2 is the right turn/stop. Ohm it out to G3 power which is pin 1. If wiring checks out probably failed chassis node.
    Chassis node can get swapped between trucks, same programming.

Like I said up top, ghosting of the taillights is normal. If incandescent bulbs are installed the ghosting goes away. Last 6 of the s/n if you want some diagrams

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  4. BoxCarKidd

Aug 26, 2014
    07/2013 Mod 388 ser# 208736
    Right tractor brake light will power up a H4656 bulb with everything turned off.
    Wiggled all the wires from the firewall to the rear x member. No change.
    Removed all fuses and breakers in panel by clutch pedal, no change.
    Light goes out when the PWR-G3 fuse is pulled from the other box.
    Diagrams would be great as any other advise.
    Thank You Very Much
    Ohm reading between pins 1 and 2 on the chassis noid is 0.1

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  5. pushbroom

Sep 1, 2012
    Left rear brake light works perfectly?

With the key off and the white connector unplugged, what is the ohm reading between pin 1 and 2 on the harness?

Im assuming your .1 reading was measured on the node vs the harness?

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  6. BoxCarKidd

Aug 26, 2014
    Yes

OL - Open circuit. I think the fuse was removed when tested.

Yes

7. pushbroom

Sep 1, 2012
    So if the g3 power wire and the rr turn wire are not shorted together, power must be going through the chassis node. I think it is safe to rule out a brake signal from the cab as both rear lights would come on.
    I think it is looking like a chassis node failure, but if you have another truck available it would be best to swap chassis nodes first to verify. If not, i would check the main chassis node ground, connector a, black, pin 3. Load it with a headlight to verify its condition. I would also check the mega fuse mounted on the RH side of the batt box. They love to collect corrosion and the rear cable often snaps off. Give both cables going to it a decent tug and also check the rest of the battery cables.
    I also attached the chassis wiring diagram.

Attached Files:

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  8. BoxCarKidd

Aug 26, 2014
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH! This is the newest and only one like it here and I had no idea about any of this. LF and RR turn signal on the same fuse? It was the node.
    The dealer has great parts service for being 2 1/2 hours away. Got some information from them but yours is better. Thanks again.
    These 388's for the last 10 years have been very good over all. If it were not for emission related problems, trans cooler above the bellhousing, wearing the RF tire right shoulder and inner front drive tires I would give them 9.5. That is extremely high for me. They have been good trucks and work hard.

pushbroom Thanks this.
  9. pushbroom

Sep 1, 2012
    Glad to hear its fixed. Chassis nodes seem weird until you statt working with them everyday. Takes a couple hard problems to wrap your head around them. I still believe 388/389s are some of the best trucks on the road. Easy to service, tough trucks. Not too shabby in the looks department either.

AModelCat, spsauerland and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  10. Jbernal

Jbernal Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2018
    I have a 2012 388 my brake lights dont work most of the time then will work for a little while if I park with the lights working by the time I come back the brake lights dont work on truck or trailer and it doesn't matter if the truck is on or off can it be the cecu?

11. pushbroom

Sep 1, 2012
    It could. Most likely not.
    Good starting point would be the brake switch....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.