2014 Cascada Rattle

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by skibum_63, Jul 24, 2014.

1. skibum_63

skibum_63 Road Train Member

Oct 12, 2007
    somewhere, USA
    When under a load, 35,000# or more, when I start up a incline, and the turbo kicks in, at around 25 psi, (my reasoning for thinking it was a turbo problem)from the front right side a very LOUD rattle starts, and lasts until I back off. It also happens when I use the engine brake going down hill.
    Was in a dealer for another problem, and they looked into this. Even took the Service Manager with his laptop plugged into the ecm, for a test drive. Because they can't duplicate the problem sitting on flat ground in the shop.
    So this is where he seen the rattles starts at 25 psi.
    They replaced a valve, we test drove again, still got the rattle.

Anyone have the same problem?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HomeTownHauler

HomeTownHauler Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Eau Claire, WI
    It's a Crapcadia, your best bet would be to light a flare, set it in the sleeper, and walk away.

Coffey and cabwrecker Thank this.
  4. cabwrecker

cabwrecker The clutch wrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    Freightliner products are required by international law to inexplicably rattle, federal law mandates that the doors not seal properly and most states have laws requiring the roof to leak in atleast three places.

Opus Thanks this.
  5. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    I have no rattles in my 2012 Cascadia
    and your talking an engine problem it appears
    so the bashers think a DD15 performs better in a different truck?

Mooose Thanks this.
  6. RSQ20

RSQ20 Medium Load Member

The variable van in the turbo react to both situations,

... Philip

7. Chip S

Chip S Light Load Member

May 27, 2013
    Texas
    Have them check the suspension ride height.
    There is also a sb for the rocker shaft if I remember correctly. Its a little tough not knowing what the sound, sounds like..

8. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    it could be the heat guard for the turbo.usually a plate looking item that is mounted at the turbo to deflect heat from it or keep heat from hitting something. they are prone to getting knocked loose or just break loose.check it with your hand when engine is cold obviously.

turbo hose band clamps also become loosened over time and need cinching up but not over done as they will pop.

check your breather housing since it is on the turbo side of engine.it,the air filter holder,might be loose or not snugged up properly if the housing was taken off for work to be done. it will vibrate if loose.

then it could just be any line for the ac or whatever that was taken out of the clamps that generally hold line of any kind together to prevent rubbing along the frame or whereever. lines vibrate when not secured properly.

9. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    Not a freightshaker say it aint so!

10. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Above things as well as the exhaust flex pipe which rattled on a buds truck and took a old school mechanic to figure-out noise which only occurred pulling hard at 1200 to 1300 rpm

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.