2014 ISX Starting Problem starved for fuel

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Kozakvod, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Kozakvod

Kozakvod Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I have a 2014 ISX and I’ve had a minor starting problem a couple 3 times after sitting off for more than a 24hr period.

The truck will initially start up normal but after less than 30 sec it starts acting like it’s starved for fuel and will finally die. I was able one time to feather the pedal and kept it running once until it cleared up.

I know it’s a lack of fuel, my guess is that it’s running through the fuel from the filter and then it dies. Anyone experienced anything like this and if so, what might be the problem?

After it dies I cycle the key to prime the system, 3-4 times and it will start and runs fine. Obviously the fuel is draining back, least I think it is, but why? Is there a check valve somewhere that’s causing the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Should be a check valve somewhere?
    Some engine come with a pre lube, and pre prime system now, or as an option.
    Do you turn on key and wait to here like 5 clicks?

4. Kozakvod

Jan 24, 2013
    Yes that’s correct. Turn the key and it clicks through 3 or 4 times to prime.

5. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Maybe air in fuel system , clogged filter or lines ...I have same issue yesterday ...any loss of power ?

6. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    ...not sure if Cummins same , but I had this with my C16

7. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Check valve problem usually takes more time before having starting issue ...maybe more experienced guys chime in

8. Kozakvod

Jan 24, 2013
    None at all

9. mastllc

mastllc Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    somewhere in ga
    Maybe the lift pump is weak or the there is some kind of problem with the pump?

10. Kozakvod

Jan 24, 2013
    It behaves more like its losing its prime, but why? This morning it started fine but i did cycle the key 3 times too.

11. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    ISX will self prime, with the charge pump, which is electric. I had to drive an early one, pre egr, and the pump itself started to leak, might be that is an issue.

Cycle the key a number of times and count to whatever each time is how the self prime is supposed to work.

Kozakvod Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.