2014 KW T660 Low Beam Headlight Issue

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by rtttcr, Nov 7, 2021.

1. rtttcr

rtttcr Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2021
    Hey everyone,

Just received a low beam fault and can't figure out the issue.

High beams, blinkers, markers all work fine, and when you switch on the lights or toggle from high to low you can see the low beams flicker and then go out. Occasionally, mostly never at this point, the passenger low beam will stay on, and when it works, it will work for a while while toggling high/low or turning on/off the lights.

Any recommendations?

By the way, I have no idea which relay is for the low beams, nothing in the fuse box under the hood or the fuse box in the cab drivers side have any label indicating headlights/lamps.

Thanks,

Rick

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    You need to locate chassis node module, driver frame rail under driver seat, cut the 432 zip ties on the harness leading to node and inspect wires carefully. Google "K.W. chassis node" if needed.

RubyEagle Thanks this.
  4. rtttcr

rtttcr Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2021
    So sometimes it really is simple, but getting there can take a while.

I found a wiring diagram and noticed that the low beam on one side shares common with high beam on the other, that pretty much eliminates a ground problem, not entirely, but most likely. I then grabbed the multimeter and checked voltage at the plug, that looked good. After that I tried a new bulb but wasn't optimistic since these bulbs are pretty reliable and for two to go ... and sure enough, didn't help.

So now I was thinking it must be the ballasts or ignitors for the HID bulbs. I took this off the table at the beginning because I thought no way both ballasts or ignitors would go bad ... well, in fact the issue was bad ballasts. Got on eBay and ordered a ballast/trigger/bulb set for each side and when they arrived I popped in a new ballast on the driver's and finally, there was light. Did the same to the passenger side and it worked as well. Ug!

-Rick

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  5. RubyEagle

RubyEagle Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Yeah it happens. Are the lights shining still? Cancel button on dash and roll on!

6. rtttcr

rtttcr Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2021
    Lights still working :)

7. AkselB

AkselB Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2023
    Hey I’m having this same exact problem and it’s driving me crazy! Did you ever figure out what the issue was? If so please let me know. Or if you could call me that would be great . 252-402-5184 my name is Aksel

8. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    He said what the problem was in his post above.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.