2014 Maxxforce 13???

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by HaulIt, Jun 8, 2017.

1. HaulIt

HaulIt Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2013
    South West Florida
    That's what I was thinking. I know some who have spent more than that in a year on maintenance.

But the downtime and unexpected repairs would kill the deal.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kf4pwb

kf4pwb Light Load Member

May 7, 2015
    Probably a dumb question hut wonder if he could make a glider out of it after the motor blows up.

HaulIt Thanks this.
  4. bulldawg trucker

bulldawg trucker Medium Load Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Wouldn't be hard I don't think. The Cummins was an option on some years.

HaulIt and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  5. little cat 500

little cat 500 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Abbottstown PA
    can put any motor you want in it after its yours

HaulIt and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  6. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    2014 for $19,000 plus another $20k for an engine swap? Still a pretty good price for a 3 year old truck, if you could do it that cheap.

HaulIt Thanks this.
  7. little cat 500

little cat 500 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Abbottstown PA
    drop an old b model cat in there an ride

Bean Jr. and HaulIt Thank this.
  8. gentran

gentran Light Load Member

May 21, 2016
    Im not 100% certain but i remember reading somewhere that you cant put a pre emission engine in a newer emission truck because the federal epa nazis will fine ya big time. I agree that would be the way to go - with a n14 or 12.7 detroit into a newer truck.

Bean Jr. and HaulIt Thank this.
  9. Texnmidwest

Texnmidwest Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2015
    As stated above....if the price allows you to replace the motor and still be financially good...it might be worth the chance.

I ran a Maxxforce for 7 months....was on my THIRD fuel pump when I turned in the truck. Not to mention the daily parked regens.....yes, daily....and I didn't idle the truck either.

After that truck I got assigned a 2017 International with a cummins engine. "well, yes, the problems you are experiencing with this engine are known problems but we don't have a fix for them at this time." 4 pages of fault codes....no fix. I just learned that if the engine would not start, get out, open the battery box, remove the battery cable, wait 30 seconds, reinstall battery and it would start.

HaulIt Thanks this.
  10. HaulIt

HaulIt Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2013
    South West Florida
    Just searched newer used and brand new Cummins 450hp complete engine used 10-20k, new 20-30k plus all the miscellaneous parts sounds too expensive and what a hassle that would be.

11. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Actually there is a potential .... These trucks are going dirt cheap because of the problems.

I have read there are people buying them and just replacing the motor with other brands .... You get a new truck with a far more reliable motor!

Navistar really needs to just stop making motors, they are a utter failure everywhere they go .... Research the Ford 6.0 and 6.4 powerstroke motors ... Another total distaster from International !!

HaulIt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.