2014 Terrastar electrical faults

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by HarrisonFF16, Feb 13, 2014.

1. HarrisonFF16

HarrisonFF16 Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2014
    I am a firefighter/paramedic with a department that recently purchased an ambulance on a 2014 Terrastar chassis with an allison series 1000 transmission. Since we've had the truck, we've had multiple instances when we start the truck that the check engine light comes on, " ABS module " flashes on the display, and " Check Trans" comes up on the display as well. Then the vehicle will not shift into any gears. We've taken it to the International dealer twice and all they could find were some wires that were pinched and creating too much resistance. They replaced the wires and said this was the cause to the problem. Needless to say, the problem still exists. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same issues and if you have, what was the cause and solution to the problem. Supposidly there is an issue with the computer throwing faulty codes and a reapair is supposed to be forthcoming. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Sounds like a datalink issue. Sadly, there really isn't much I can tell you without hooking up to it. As a tech, we are really limited to what we can do without seeing what codes are getting logged and whatnot. I do know of the erroneous fault codes that are getting logged by the engine only, nothing else. These are also not causing ABS or Trans lights to come on. Did they happen to mention which wires that they fixed? I am suspecting an 1939 datalink problem.

4. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    Any ABS problem and TCU throws J1939 data fault code) really transmission unit used VSS and ABS speed data

5. FiremanTim

FiremanTim Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2014
    I work for an FD that just received a new 2014 Terrastar with the same problem that you described. After weeks of troubleshooting International believes they have found the problem. The squad manufacturer moved the vehicle's batteries from under the cab to a small compartment on the squad module itself in order to give us easier access to the batteries. According to International this additional distance of the cables causes a minute voltage drop which they say is the possible cause of the problem. This is early on and we haven't heard back from International yet while they do some testing.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  6. freightlinerman

freightlinerman Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Florida
    There are Pro Stars that are having the same problem too. It is tripping the ABS/Traction control lights and says its out of calibration. When re-calibrated, it will do the same thing intermittently. A code pops up as data link error or something.

7. Jimmynine

Jimmynine Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2019
    Has anyone been able to find what the cause of this issue is. I have the same problem and my truck has been in a repair shop for two weeks now and he can find the issue! Please help

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The datalink splices have been known to fail inside the wiring harness. Running new datalink overlays or locating the "Y" splices and redoing them corrects issues like this.

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.