2015 Cascadia OTR Performance

Discussion in 'John Christner' started by Aminal, Nov 8, 2014.

1. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    Eaton Ultrashift wasn't for me. didn't like the downshift noise on ultrashift. In my opinion, this is not a legit truck.

Aminal Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    well everyone has a right to their opinion
    too bad they feel the need to share it

The Challenger and Aminal Thank this.
  4. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    I grew up riding with my dad on my uncle's 96 t800, remember the power of 3406, passing many trucks, and the way dad shifts.

Aminal Thanks this.
  5. Aminal

Aminal Heavy Load Member

OK, I'm dumb as dirt here but I figured out something. I put it in manual to do the fine maneuvering front and back. Danged DUH!! Right? "R1, M1 Creep Mode" is the closest thing to a regular over back and over up "feather it" as this foal has. Puttin' it in manual keeps it there. That "flappin'" you're hearin' is me swatting' my own tail for what shoulda been a "no brainer". Duh, duh, DUH!!!! I figure that's prolly why Detroit gave us the option for manual or automatic. This and other scenarios. What an idjut!!

Ahem; Note to new Autoshift users: Consider tapping it into manual R1 or M1 or M2 and just leaving it there when making tight moves. Sheeze! Forget about the other R modes. In 17 years I only had two occasions to ever use high reverse. One was feathering a snow rut where I had parked. Wanted low spin. R2 to 4 and back to get on top.

The other was a situation I was getting on top of that I prolly shouldn't get into seein' how I'm an older and happily married gentleman now; but it involved a young Texas filly and a very unhappy father and I'll leave that at that other than to say . . .

Thank God, Paccar, Cat, Eaton and Great Dane for solid metal and sure foot grabbin' power when I needed it that morning. That's prolly as much as I should say on that other than; 1998 was a helluva good year all round!! Ahem: Outstanding truck and trailer production that year. . . .

Yup.

That's what I speak of.

GIDDY YUP!! GO,GO, GO!!

OEM's.

Ahem.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  6. Aminal

Aminal Heavy Load Member

A note about this APU's heat. It's a Carrier Comfortpro and it generates it's own heat with some type of regular heater. In other words it's not the separate diesel fired bunk heater type like I had with the TK Tri Pack. It's not as warm as the bunk heater was. That bunk heater would flat roast you on the coldest sub zero night. It got down to the 20's last night and it's 31 in the sun now. I slept comfortably under my comforter but it didn't get real warm even on it's highest heat setting. Like I said, it has stayed comfortable even with the driver and passenger windows open about an inch - I always leave them open for fresh air. However, had I been outside and been real cold and trying to get warmed, I would have been better off with the engine running and nice and warm there. The APU is not nearly as warm as a regular bunk heater for thawing you out after getting your hands and nose all hard cold, but it'll do for keeping a nice inside temp that is not actually cold or cool. Definitely not too hot and having to adjust the thermostat down. That's for sure. I'll let y'all know how it does in some genuine cold weather.

7. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

I cannot even imagine how any of this works. As for the rest, well, Mr. Happily Married Man, you have memories... 😁

Aminal Thanks this.
  8. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Animal i don't drive a Detroit gearbox but i do drive a "autobot".(more then 8y allready :biggrin_2551:)
    On mine,and i guess it might be like that on yours too,creep mode is running with slip on the clutch.
    (if it isn't like that,please tell us,we can learn from it)
    So that is fine for very short,delicate maneuvers but don't run 50 or 100 yards in creep.
    On the other hand,running in full first reverse while hooking up to a trailer is also a no-no.

Aminal Thanks this.
  9. Cranky Yankee

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    i wont get mine until friday had only driven an eaton auto before
    but the drivers in our co say these mercedes transmissions are completely different
    even freightliner yelled at one of our drivers said it is an autoshift not an automatic

Aminal Thanks this.
  10. MachoCyclone

MachoCyclone Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Texas
    So, Animal, have you pulled any real hills with that auto yet? How did it do?

Aminal Thanks this.
  11. Cranky Yankee

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    leaving green bay in the morning for Sacramento
    I believe there is a hill or 3 on the way

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.