2016 Intermodal

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by RERM, Jan 22, 2016.

1. JJKid

JJKid Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    You wanna know what GRINDS my gears the most??? I see it almost daily happen at my company in the office....

When guys come in to the office and say... "man, pretty ok week... is there something else to do"

Dispatch: Yeah, got a load... ect ect

Guy: ahh,ohhh,ehhh, i'll just go home..

Jesus... always grinds my gear.

4noReason and RERM Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JJKid

JJKid Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    it really depends bro.. with what company your at... honestly, i cant answer this because each company is different.. different rates... ect.. but IMO... if your clearing $2,000 or MORE right now in this freight slowdown... your DOING GOOD. Anything after $2,000.. consider yourself grateful... and extra profit. This is how i look at it. I have periods where i just make $2,000-$2,500 but it's more than enough with me. then i have periods where I'm clearing $2,500 to $3,500... and when i look at that check, man do i feel great! Like I said, i dont know your bills, payments, ect... but yeah.. many factors do play into this... and each company differs.

I have a few friends who work at "HUB GROUP, JB HUNT/ XPO (aka PACER)".. they are making $1,400 to $1,800 right now with days off during the week... because well, those companies have over 1,000 guys and your nothing but a number and they arent going to work with you....... try to look into small outfits... those companies tend to have higher rates, flexibility, and well.. actually know you by your NAME!

to answer your question, long story short.... doing local or regional, you should be atleast clearing $2,000. if you arent, bounce. dont waste your time. and if you like to waste your time, you're just losing and alot of guys i know LIKE To lose for some reason... you might aswell be a COMPANY DRIVER! harsh but truth and reality..

4noReason and 123456 Thank this.
  4. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    I work the northeast no more than 8 hours a day and since you gotta pay tolls to go anywhere my magic # is 1500 dollars take home a week on my truck.

JJKid Thanks this.
  5. Cricket Man

Cricket Man Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2011
    amherst,oh 44001
    Im at a company that we are only 15 trucks is a new company in cleveland i was doing clear 2,800 from august to november i am truck number 3-4 there they start hiring more trucks we are now 15 trucks and im taking home 1,500 -1,600 this days but i see company's that they are doing worst

6. JJKid

JJKid Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Ok, I see this happen alot.

So what's going on is, they are increasing drivers but now there is not enough freight to give around. Yep, pretty much what happens to all companies when they start to grow... and this is where companies mess up. As they grow, they need to search for accounts, not BROKERS who give them a load here and there. Many companies in my area are in the same predicament. They are living off brokers who give them a load here and there... it just doesn't work period. End result is those drivers leave because what was working a few months ago.. is not working presently and will not definitely work in the future. Companies who run intermodal, in order to keep their trucks going.... they need to secure a relationship with steamship lines or accounts who keep feeding them loads.

7. Cricket Man

Cricket Man Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2011
    amherst,oh 44001
  8. Pool6710

Pool6710 Medium Load Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Minnesnowta
    That's because some of the rates are tanking on some container lines. If you get paid % some of its not worth the hassle.

9. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL

Well, what gets ME going is when you talk to a driver or owner op and they say: "I'm just not getting the sweet runs you are" and when you ask them what have you done about it, they say, "well I went and had a fight with dispatch, but nothings changed..."

REALLY???? you went and had a fight with the guys who get you loads and then wonder why you keep getting crap runs?????....

or,

Yeah, I told them I'm not going to that shipper anymore or XYZ run is crap.....

Guy, seriously, you don't think the the drivers getting the good runs have run the occasional bad one????....

Geez....!!!!

10. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012

If i go to kiswani im going company driver. You think its good asca start off. My dad parks there. He gonna stop by and ask for details. Ive been too busy weekends to go in and talk to them. If i can take home 1500 5 days home daily say no more.

11. Trubb43

Trubb43 Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2014
    I'll shoot for a high 12 starting off honestly

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.