2016 Pete 579 smartnav problem

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by usedboxman, Nov 10, 2018.

1. usedboxman

usedboxman Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Hello,
    I own a 2016 Pete with the factory installed Smartnav system. This is the Smartnav that has Garmin maps. The other day the Nav system stopped working and is hung up in the "Acquiring Satellites" step of start up. Tried restarting, pulled the fuse, but I can't get the nav working. It just restarts and hung up in the "Acquiring Satellites" step. The rest of the functions other than the nav is working fine (radio, CD player, Virtual Gauges) any help would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    There is a couple cables hooked to the rear of the gps. Yellow is sirrus satilite radio. Blue is Gps and white is am/fm.
    It will have seperate cables to 1 antenna that does everything. I would try replacing the blue gps cable first before trying a new antenna.
    Antenna should be located up in the headliner. Some were getting relocated to outside the truck for better reception though.
    If you arent comfortable pulling the headliner I would suggest taking it to a shop.

4. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Mine gets wacky at times (also 2016). Will turn itself on & off, or change functions. (I don’t use Nav).

Have had shop check for loose cable connections (once) and then to be sure all updates are done (once).

Not as bad now as it was.

5. Peterbilt77

Peterbilt77 Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2020
    We have a 2017 Peterbilt with the DEA600 and we've been having several issues. ANY INFO or help would be greatly appreciated!
    1. We can't get the system to update to the latest software. In the past we've performed the updates with a usb. We've uploaded the updates to the usb then plugged the usb into the radio and followed the step by step instructions and it has updated. This time however we have not been so fortunate. We've called panapacific and they have been zero help as to why it won't update. Is it possible to perform the update over wifi? And if so how to you do it that way? Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.
    2. Our most recent problem is the FM radio has stopped playing. The screen and everything else about the radio still works. The issue is that when the screen comes up, on the right hand side of the screen where you can change the stations, there is a white round circle that just goes around and around as if its waiting on the radio stations to come in. Also when the ignition is off and the key is taken out the touch screen stays on and continues with the round white loading circle. We've had this problem a few times in the past, with this same truck, and we've unhooked the battery cables and left them off over night, and when we hooked them back up in the morning the radio would work just fine. We've not been so lucky for that little truck to work this time however. We are all out of trouble shooting ideas at this point so again ANY INFO or help with be so greatly appreciated! We really want to get this SmartNav system back to working properly.

6. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    This thread is right up my alley, I have a 2014 Pete with the Smart Navigation built also, I don’t use it but the unit in all shuts off automatically every 20 minutes, is there a reason why ?

7. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    If it shuts off every 20 min and has to be manually powered on, it is missing the key power signal.
    Check all fuses in the cab and bunk, it can be in the bunk listed as a radio fuse.

Diesel Dave and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  8. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I’ll take a look on Monday. Thanks. I’ll post a follow up.

9. aaronpeterbilt3787

aaronpeterbilt3787 Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2016
    I have a 2020 579 with the pana pacific dea601 unit. My issue is with the dimmer. I dim it down at night and it automatically goes full bright on its own. Sometimes two minutes later, sometimes it’s fine for an hour. Sometimes I barely get my finger off the dimmer button and it’s going back full brightness. Drives me fricken nuts.

10. Hell Survivor

Hell Survivor Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Hi folks
    I know that this thread is about a Peterbilt with smart nav but I have God the same problem in a 2014 kenworth t680 with navplus
    Everything was working fine until today morning When my screen froze up. I try to rebooted but no luck and I decided to do a software upgrade on this DEA600 unit. The Software update failed on the very last. I Pulled all the fuses And also unplugged and plugged the unit from rear. the touch screen itself is working again and I can see that it is upgraded to the new software but the head unit itself is not working anymore. It keeps flashing all the lights every 2 seconds. The new head unit is $3,000 at dealership as these dea600 models are discontinued.I don't want to spend that much money on the news itself if someone can please help me I am willing to pay as well. I am attaching some screenshots as well for you guys do understand it better

Thanks for all your help me

Attached Files:

11. Hell Survivor

Hell Survivor Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Did u figure it out yet?
    Mine did the same thing in a KW T680.
    Called Panapacific and they sent me a link to download SW files for ONLY headunit which fixed everything.

Let me know if you need any help

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.