2017+ Cascadia Evolution Antenna Mount

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Slowmover1, Mar 11, 2018.

1. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    108 " will be as if ant were mounted on the mirror itself at the top like on volvo..On the crapcadia mirror ase is not..
    Yeah im thinkin a roll will go a long ways,keep it as wide as possible...

With coax look for something that has alot of tightly woven shielding..The more spaced the weave the worse it is for shielding..

As for keeping the ant from whipping around as much i oicked up some semi flexable cream colored pvc pipeing...
    I used about 3 to 3.5 ft from the base up...Takes alot of strain off the base of the antenna and does help with sway...I personally would run just one till everything is up to snuff and your gettin 20 mi range.....
    Most of the prob with these is ground plain..
    Got my new rig expert aa 55 zoom today..Holy crap it blows the doors off the aa 30 i had..Much better detailed screen,more options and now its maken me learn a lil more cause of those options....I dont have to be flippin screens so much either.....Not that its a big deal but my fave screens are the multi freq screen....Measure 5 freq at same time..Glad i upgraded..

Slowmover1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I took my vise grips to the bench grinder and ground down the bottom jaw. I couldn't adjust the mirror with the vise grips slid in, but I never move them once they're set anyway so no big deal. I bought the cheap, discount tool store vice grips. You don't have to squeeze them down too tight to hold that set up I had. The last Cascadia I drove was the 2016, so I have no idea on anything later than that.

Slowmover1 Thanks this.
  4. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    With the chargers (3.0A) it’s the three into one adaptor that’s noisy. And it’s under bunk. Fitting chargers cords with ferrites just cheap insurance right now.

Agreed with the one change at a time mentality.

Coax will probably be the last thing. (Or yet another radio). This current harness may be beat up before I’m through. THEN comes a new one.

I’ve used PVC with the Firestick. 2’ maybe?

Howzabout a favor? With your new analyzer, check to see how readings change with and without PVC in place.

3.5’ was longer than I’d guessed prudent.

Thx

5. Slowmover1

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    67AE01AB-2A15-4C2F-859B-AB0BE7A9773B.jpeg

Hey, Mike5511. Thx for those tips.
    Photo isnt great, but . . . .
    On this 2018 the mirror housing doesn’t extend far enough out from the glass to slip the vise-grips onto any portion (the upper and inner only ones acceptable).

Were the glass evenly recessed all around, there’s still virtually no recess on any portion.

The top of that housing is a good six inches or lower than the visor.

6. Slowmover1

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Was looking at an MFJ combination dummy load & SWR meter in the DXE catalog. Needs 12V power. $150

Ordered up some quality jumpers.

Am looking at (and likely to purchase) the Tac Comm Radio box. Move the whole rig in and out as a unit.

Started looking at JOTTO laptop stands (uses seat bolts) to place it on. (Will find something I can transfer to my pickup; even if I have to fab a bracket; no room in that vehicle for much).

With this approach, coax and power cable routing becomes a simple job. As there wasn’t a great change in going from the behind-dash power distribution to the BATT, that pair can be significantly shortened when I go back to the panel in-cab.

Coax, coming in at floor level just behind A-pillar, can also be simplified. Less concern about truck “modification” as even a Qualcomm or other ELD has similar access & power needs.

Gets rig off of dash top and away from prying eyes is the other thing. GPS and phone used for ELD will go back to dash face. Won’t be anything on dashtop or windshield (except toll pass items or dashcam up high)

And makes rig removal easy when out of truck for a day or so. DXE also shows various hard poly, foam-lined cases. I’ll find something to carry all the electronics, ideally.

Too much money in all this stuff. The bad part.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  7. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I used the needle nose vice grips and ground the bottom jaw down. That mirror doesn't look any different than the one on the 2016 and below. Put a piece of fuel line on the top jaw, and you can clamp without leaving a mark. Like I said, you won't be able to adjust the mirror while the vice grips are in place.

8. Slowmover1

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Thanks. Didn’t think of needle-nose in looking at it. Or fuel line.

9. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Man, these cascadia threads give me a headache....too much monkey business. LOL.

10. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    No change with the flexable pvs that almost the same diameter...
    As for the charger,the pic i posted is what i just bought and was shocked how well it worked..Only bought it cause original tnd tablet charger got to weak to charge it..

Coax can make or break your set up..The coax itself vs the pl259 choice vs how its attached all can make a huge diff..The more shield with a tight brade the higher the velocity factor and lowest loss....Unless your puttin out jigga watts of power most anything over lmr 240 type specs on coax are over kill but i dont mind spending a smidge extra even though ill not hear the diff..

11. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Dont read them..

mike5511 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.