2017+ Cascadia Evolution Antenna Mount

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Slowmover1, Mar 11, 2018.

1. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    See an analyzer could save you time and effort..Ill add a cpl screen shots..With etter info you can go the right direction once you understand more.. orca-image-1523663833142.jpg_1523663833561.jpeg

Attached Files:

Slowmover1 and mike5511 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I took a piece of wood and pushed my antenna right against my mirror with no change in the swr. Then I pulled it towards the truck. The closer it got, the higher the swr went. I see a lot of pictures where folks mount their antenna on the inside of the bracket. It should be as far away from the truck body as possible. My antenna leaned away from the truck when going down the road. I don't know why really but that was a good thing. I'll never use that good stainless steel bracket that will fit a Cascada up to the 2016 year model.......sad it ain't on a truck somewhere......

4. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    But if you have an Evolution with the chromed mirrors, it should go in the middle.

5. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    An evo with chrome mirrors????
    If you mean the plastic chrome like finish on the plastic mirrors,doubt that has any reflective materials in it..

6. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    I’ve currently got them under an inch from the ends.

As I may take a couple of days out of the truck, I think I’ll grab the 7’ Firestiks again from home and buy another of the thread title mounts. I’ll have time to go to Lowe’s for another piece of PVC and find some needlenose v-grips and (I always want to call it) Lucite as mike5511 has done. Plus fuel line or similar.

But as my boss is forever changing things around, this may not occur quite so soon.

7. mike5511

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Lexan, a glass shop will have it. It is what motorcycle windshields are made of. Won't shatter. I used 1/4". Probably have a piece of scrap you can have. You can cut it with a jig saw. If you go that route, don't forget a rubber grommet to run the antenna thru so it won't rub a hole in it. I'd give you mine if you were close, but you can make one cheaper than I could mail it. I used a piece of cardboard to make a pattern, but I suppose I could take a picture with measurements of mine if you want. You don't have to be that precise.

8. Slowmover1

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    You know, a pic would be great. A help to anyone having suffered thru this thread this far.

Dimensions would make it easy.

Thx

9. mike5511

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Mine looks like this. Door is open so it looks odd at first glance. Get a piece of cardboard and make you a pattern after you have your antenna mounted. That would be the most accurate way. This one is 17.5" long. 4" wide. 1/4" thick Lexan, not plexiglass. The grommet has 1/2 inch I.D. if I remember correctly. It is a tight fit on a SkipShooter. A little soapy water and it will slip right thru. If any of you want what I have for a Cascadia, SS bracket and this brace, heck even those vice grips in the picture including the fuel line pieces; figure you a trip down U.S. 65 from Springfield, MO to Little Rock, and I'll make it happen. There is a chance I could be in the Indy area about 500 time as well. Not sure yet and I won't discuss my travel plans on a open forum, so PM if you're interested.

Attached Files:

Slowmover1 Thanks this.
  10. Slowmover1

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    The winds across the High Plains beat me up enough I took off a fair amount of time since last post. Time with son before he starts more training.

Haven’t gotten to glass shop or Lowe’s for the mike5511 brace parts. Though I do have two pieces of PVC I’m using. Taped to base with self-fusing silicone.

Have ordered the

TAC-COMM TRC-2 Radio Carrier
    (link was on www.K0BG.com. Read his entire site. Again).

Ordered a 9” tall radio mount and more LMR-400 jumpers from Bells CB.

Decided to have some fun and ordered an

MFJ-945e Antenna Tuner
    (from DX Engineering)

And ordered yet more RF reduction ferrite
    (Palomar Engineers).

I’m returning to the truck in a day or two with the 7’ Firestiks and 4’ Everhardts. Will get a second Pro Comm Mount for the starboard side.

I’ll work towards an easier-to-live with antenna setup for now. Consider growing my antenna collection some more.

Then in a week or so get the radio gear all mounted on box (think slipseater) so that on departing truck I can drop all that plus all other electronics into a foam-lined case. Stop worrying about damage in transit.

After I’ve done these plus other mentioned above, I’ll see about an analyzer. Have to do estimates on pickup and 35’ travel trailer about bonding strap. Then will make one order. That stuff ain’t cheap.

Still need to send West Mountain DSP speaker in for repair.

And put a bug in Roberts ear in re his proposed HD antenna mount for the new Cascadia (Clays Radio Shop). I suggested he take a look at the Bells HD mount for the previous Cascadia for some inspiration. I’d like more options given the wind loads I see. (Couldn’t get above 53-mph the other day with this 500-HP Detroit.)

Too much at home what with both pickup and house repairs. Uber gets expensive after the fifth or sixth trip, ha!

Have done some “studying. Of videos pertaining to above. Now, I need me some of the Rebbes Big Bubba Bucks Belly Busting BBQ (man, that’s a funny clip. Sent it to some friends. And I enjoyed other of your vids).

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  11. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Like to see mount your referring to for the antenna...

Dont know why your gonna have that mfj inline cause your gonna loose anout 2-3db,just watched a vid..Dont know why your bothering with 4 ft ant on that trk(waste of time and $)....All these jumpers you speak off again is $ you dont need to spend...Seems if anything your adding more stuff to move,more connections = loss....Why not just get a analyzer for 200-300 set up the ant and be done....I see you adding more issues and gaining less..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.