2017 Peterbilt Top Frame Failure

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by tupperwolf, Aug 28, 2021.

1. tupperwolf

tupperwolf Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2021
    That tank has 4 saddles. 2 on each side are bolted down. So a total of 4 bolts holds that tank onto the frame. Driver noticed the crack in the saddle and then when the tank was removed, the broken frame was revealed. It is an oilfield truck. 120 bbl tank

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    4 saddles but the one in the picture looks to be only about a foot or so long. That is literally 1 sq ft of contact across all 4 mount points for all of that weight. I'm no engineer but field experience tells me that is inadequate.

4. tupperwolf

tupperwolf Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2021
    AModelCat. That's what we're thinking too.

There were two drivers that commented about tank movement and mentioned concern over the 4 bolt mounting system. Our mechanic didn't want to mess with the build design which proved to be an expensive oversight...BTW It's a Stephens tank..

Attached is a picture showing a dragon tank. 16 bolt tie down with increased load dispersion and dampers.

Attached Files:

AModelCat Thanks this.
  5. Nss

Nss Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2021
    My guess would be mounting was loose and over time from pounding up and down fatigued and cracked

tupperwolf Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.