2017 Prostar Idle Management

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Orangemonster25, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Orangemonster25

Orangemonster25 Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2016
    So the company gave me a '17 model international prostar.. Nice only problem is after 5 mins the idle management light comes on and the engines shuts off.. I'm hip to that but usually there is a auto start/stop button. The '17 model doesn't have that. A/C stops blowing cold and it was a very long night here in Texas with no A/C blowing. How do you get A/C all night if there's no auto start/stop button and the engine won't stay on longer than 5 mins ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Your company needs to have that changed in the ECM. You might be SOL if thy don't want you to idle it's going to be a long hot summer.:eek:

Tb0n3 and Orangemonster25 Thank this.
  4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The engine is programmed for idle shutdown. Nothing you can do. Unless your truck has the "no idle" HVAC system on it, you'll need to turn that truck in and ask for one you can run all night.

Tb0n3 and Orangemonster25 Thank this.
  5. Fatmando

Fatmando Medium Load Member

May 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    With all the energy and thought that has gone into "idle management", you'd think they would just put on a ###### APU, and be done with the issue... :-/

Justrucking2 and Orangemonster25 Thank this.
  6. Orangemonster25

Orangemonster25 Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Thanks guys for your responses. The verdict is in.. These 2017 international Prostars have no APU period, no auto start either. What it's supposed to do is between like let's say 40° and 78-95° (company shop has no way of seeing what it's actually set to so I've been given an estimated bracket) there will be no AC period. Once the outside temp reaches above the max setting you are supposed to be able to start the truck up and it should bypass the 5 minute idle management and stay idling so you can run the AC until the outside temp drops below the max setting and they truck will revert back to the 5 minute timer and automatically shut down. Therefore back to no AC within the temperature bracket. Also since there is no auto start for when the battery gets low instead of cranking up to recharge the battery all the power (lights, inverter, built in refrigerator included) shuts off leaving you with no lights or AC. Beware if you're assigned a new truck and you notice there is no auto start and/or no APU !! This is unacceptable and should let your company know that you will not take the truck asap. Afterba long hot weekend my manager is back in the office and looking for me another truck as we speak. Thanks guys!

Tb0n3, Fatmando and Heavyd Thank this.
  7. Prom Night Dumpster Baby

Prom Night Dumpster Baby Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Bug Tussle, TN
    All because so many jackwagons run the truck all night when it's perfect sleeping weather 45-70 degrees outside and waste fuel and generate noise and fumes for fellow truckers parked nearby.

8. little cat 500

little cat 500 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Abbottstown PA
    can't ya just set the trailer brake instead of tractor brake or lay something on the fuel pedal to bump it up

9. Fatmando

May 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That you have to do that, is nonsense. And laying something on the fuel pedal is risky at best. They need to just put in a dammed APU and be done with it. But instead, they'll put in computers and cameras, and take the driver out of the truck. It's just cheaper to run it as a drone or an automated truck, than to treat the driver at least as well as the law requires you to treat a dog.

Tb0n3, mxpx148 and Heavyd Thank this.
  10. little cat 500

little cat 500 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Abbottstown PA
    I don't have one but was just thinking of how to keep it running duct tap for the cam will work for sure

11. Fatmando

May 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ultimately, the camera won't be there to watch the driver, because the driver won't be in the truck. Tape over inward-facing cameras will work to maintain some privacy, but you don't need privacy in the truck if there is no driver on board... no, ultimately, the cameras will be for remote drone operation, during dock operations, or whenever the computer finds a situation that it can't handle, and there will be a call-center-like facility, in some third-world country where labor is cheap, full of drivers in virtual reality headsets, that some computer assigns to remotely-control whatever truck calls for drone control.

They'll pay these guys some unbelievably low rate, and keep one driver on duty for every 20 trucks on the road at the time, and we'll all be bagging groceries we can't afford to buy, or holding cardboard signs up, on the side of a road full of vehicles with no drivers in them.

I'm just hoping that I'm old enough to be dead by then.

Tug Toy and Heavyd Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.