2018 Cascadia idle override

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Fztrout, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Fztrout

Fztrout Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2017
    I couldn't find a post for this for this model year but I just recently signed on with a certain big fleet company and they are very stricked about idling. Well I am in Texas and it is 70° out and 70% humidity. This is a problem because my body literally will not let me sleep because of this god awful humidity. Which is an even bigger problem because lack of sleep I'm sure you all know means accidents. Well my partner And I got stuffed into a brand new 2018 Cascadia and none of the tricks from the older models seem to work. Is there anyone who may actually know a trick because the only I know that actually works is pulling the ambient air temp sensors which I cannot find for the life of me because no one is specific about the location. Someone said behind the grill another said behind the front bumper and another said it's in a mirror.... Well there are 4 mirror housings on the truck .... And what does behind mean? Behind the glass or what? Any help would be highly appreciated...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Buy your own truck, then idle all you want. Or find a different company.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  4. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    If you tamper with a truck & idle all night & use the fuel, the company will know. If they dont allow idling, you wont be able to idle without them knowing it one way or the other. If you cant get them to authorize the idling & get Freightliner to reset &/or delete the setting, you wont be working for them very long... either way, your choice or theirs. I certainly wouldn't try to idle all night, every night, using all that fuel & expect the company not to know it. And I certainly wouldnt start tampering with the truck parts, removing parts etc.

5. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Does that 2018 have Detroit Optimized idle seems like it should have something to keep cool when sleeping

6. RocketyMan

RocketyMan Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Hmm...sounds like you might work for "Sw1ft." And also, you need to be more specifically clear. Is it a 2018 NEXT GEN CASCADIA or an old style? Two complete different units/controls/electronics. I'm going to guess you have a 2018 NGC.

At any rate, your problem is going to require programming with the CPC3. Pulling an AAT sensor to circumvent the idle shutdown won't solve your problem nor work for that matter as the truck will still shut down after a certain allotted time.

I'm pretty sure you have a DD powertrain. Also, do you have a ParkSmart unit and/or Opt-idle?

1mdmadv1 Thanks this.
  7. Fztrout

Fztrout Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2017
    The company does allow idling in certain circumstances. And it does have optimized idle but the parameters are set so stupid. It won't idle unless the temp is below 20 or above I think 90. But there is nothing to keep the trucks cool no APU's I'm not looking to idle every single night just the nights like last night that are just unbearably uncomfortable. That's the crap part of these trucks is they can tell the temp but not the humidity. Humidity makes everything so much worse. And I would love to buy my own truck but I cannot afford that at this moment.

8. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    If it has Optimized Idle turn it on and set the sleeper thermostat to cool and set it for what every temperature you want. The truck will start engine and turn on a/c as needed.

Fztrout Thanks this.
  9. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I have the Optimized idle and it will start and stop engine for sleeper temperature or battery voltage and engine oil temperature. It also will automatically do parked regeneration on the DPF as needed.

10. Fztrout

Fztrout Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2017
    Hmmm well maybe it doesn't have optimized idle because it doesn't seem to matter what I set the temp to it doesn't do anything.

11. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    You have have the engine running and set the parking brakes. Then turn on cruise control and a light on dash should start flashing saying "lDLE MGMT". Then let the truck idle and after 3 minutes you will see engine shut down warning. Don't do anything and engine will stop and the lDLE Management will take over. Then just turn on the thermostat in sleeper and set the temp. The truck will then start and stop as needed

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.