2019 VNL Wiper problem

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Nascar_Perry, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Nascar_Perry

Nascar_Perry Bobtail Member

May 18, 2016
    I am going to try to detail as best as possible what the problem is and what I have done so far in the hopes someone may have an idea what is going on. Essentially I am tying to avoid having to deal with the dealership for downtime reasons and hope this is a simple issue I can fix.

The truck is a 2019 Volvo VNL 760

When using the wipers, all functions work great, intermittent, slow and fast. However when you leave them on for a few hours in slow or fast and then try to use intermittent, the start, stop, start stop, randomly. On the first intermittent pass, the wiper could go up 3/4 of the way and stop for a fraction of a second before going all the way up. It may then stop all the way up for up to 2 minutes, or it may not, on the way down it may randomly stop at random angles before returning to parked. On the second intermittent pass, this issue may not happen as bad, and may randomly stop once or twice. The whole process is random. My wiper switch was replaced for another issue so I know this is not the problem. Other drivers are reporting the same issue to the exact detail. One had his motors looked at and replaced, no change.

Myself, when the wipers act like this I will hear the relays clicking for every time it starts and stops going up or down. So I could hear the relay go nuts if the wipers start/stop multiple times. In the dash fuse, I located relay 23 and 24 which are identical relays marked as INTERMITTENT WIPER. I swapped their positions with each other and the issue went away... for a while until the wipers were used again for an hour.

Need suggestions on what to look at or if this is a case of a useless relay.

I forgot to add, the only other way to get the intermittent setting to work is to shut the truck off completely and let her rest for a day. (Could be less, but I usually have a day)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mike P

Mike P Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Same all vnl 760 2019

4. Mike P

Mike P Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Brand new vnl 760 , drove 2 trucks , all got different problem, instrument cluster, coolant leaks, SDP mulfanction, block heater and driver side mirror and windows operating block problem, meet driver came with fuel transfers between trunks problem. Shame on U VOLVO

5. Mike P

Mike P Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2019
    If U whant to use truck BT calls , message BT call is active covering all information displays, and can't be removed very poorly designed not for truckers

6. Mike P

Mike P Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Both trucks at dealer. VOLVO promises diagnost with 2 hour .... big joke , it taking days, and of course....no parts in stock. Shame on U VOLVO

7. Mike P

Mike P Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Very strange engine brake system, If it's Off it still p/ up on low speed, tested on 2 trucks all same. I can't understand VOLVO design this trucks for drivers or for instance companies. Except exterior good look ,everything very cheap and absolutely not reliable. Afraid to take this VNL 760 2019 trucks on the road don't know what I can expect more. First trucks I absolutely didn't trust .Shame on U Volvo

8. Mike P

Mike P Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Everything under warranty, but who will pay days and weeks I lost during time Trucks seating in Shop. Who gona restores my nerves. I so sorry I maded very bad desigion to take over lease from VOLVO.

9. Mike P

Mike P Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2019
    I will continue to post, my problem with VNL 760 2019 in a few day , I am sure it will come

10. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    I think all the manufacturers were in such a feverish push last year to get trucks out quality tremendously suffered.

I'd be very hesitant to buy a 2019 made by ANY of the big manufacturers right now.
    I bought a 2019 Peterbilt 389L and it was a complete lemon from bumper to bumper. Trully a disgrace on Peterbilts part.

The feverish build Pace has slowed so buying a truck this year should give better quality construction as a 2020 model year.

11. Phantaztix

Phantaztix Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I've had the same problem on my current 2019 740 and I had the same problem on a 2015 670. It's some stupid #### in Volvo's relays. Maybe the computer. But this isn't a new problem with Volvos. I'm thinking it's the relay because it happens after getting warm from use and takes hours of being off before it stops the stupid glitch.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.