2021 International LT - Looking for setup info/steps

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Thrasher28, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Thrasher28

Thrasher28 Heavy Load Member

Aug 12, 2021
    Bowling Green, KY
    New and pretty much clueless with CB’s
    Cobra 29 LX, basic calibration, factory antennas (4’ each on factory mounts behind the cab)
    1.4 SWR (using built in meter. I know, not the most accurate). Reception around 2 miles, transmission around a mile. Not bad, gets the job done, so no rush.

Just got my radio a couple weeks ago, and already enjoying it way more than running without. It’s nice to hear about traffic, hazards, and just the general ramblings to break up the monotony and have a little entertainment (until the politics roll in).

Looking for anyone in an international LT that has info for the best bang for the buck antenna, mic, etc. setup. I reckon I could trial and error, take suggestions, etc., but just want to do things right so I can spend the money on the equipment and not so much on trial and error. Willing to ditch the factory mounts, since it’s obviously not ideal to be behind the cab. So, what antenna(s)? What mounting bracket/location? What mic? What coax length, etc. has worked best for you? Not really a budget, but not looking to jump in the deep end of the CB world. Just looking for a modest, reliable setup.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Pull coax to the left antenna, get a new mount and put a good longer antenna on.

4. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    I drive a 2019 LT and use the factory setup and the performance is not bad as is. No single antenna is going to have the performance of the duals on the LT. I went from a single on the Cascadia to duals on the LT and immediately noticed a huge difference.

5. L1011man

L1011man Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2023
    Does anyone know of an antenna extender or taller antenna that would put the top of the antennas above the air dam on top of the cab?

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Why would you need that?

7. L1011man

L1011man Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2023
    My Sirius xm radio cuts out because the antenna is under the top air dam. Sirius XM works on line of sight from the sky. It’s a week FM signal anyway and any obstruction can hinder the signal. Wondering if I could get a talker antenna or an antenna extension on my existing antenna.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.