2022 Rail Strike

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by Pittstruck, Sep 2, 2022.

1. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Those thieving bastardos are already trying to steal away iowa states coach ...Nebraska got what they deserved! And although I would like to see them return to greatness again they gotta quit firing coaches when things don't go theyre way ...I think we are still paying pelini and Callahan!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Matt says he's not leaving ISU..lol
    I was on my way to Wyoming Saturday so I didn't see the Cyhawk game only heard it on the radio.. it sounded ugly They both sucked

4. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Glad to hear ! If we're a Jr high coach in New Mexico I wouldn't touch Nebraska.

5. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    LMAO !!

6. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Container loads about to pay a lot of money to go on my flatbed :3some:

7. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Some will get real crazy...

Last year coming out of the covid crunch our e-mail blew up with brokers attempting to cover freight.

At the time our 'regular' customers had so much stuff arriving that we were running an average of 200 to 250 'last free day' containers so all we could do was laugh at the monies being offered to cover containers delivering less than 75 miles from the seaport.

Brokers who 'obtained' said freight lanes by cutting prices were now offering $3,000.00 for a 50 mile linehaul [$60.00 a mile one way] in an attempt to live up to their commitments.

It came to the point where my phone was ringing off the hook and I answered we couldn't help.

Hopefully it drove some of the real scumsuckers out of the broker business.

Time to get container locks installed in the flat beds; this is the last phase of christmas deliveries so somebody, somewhere, is going to be willing to pay....

8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

As I understand it the current employees are not asking for more pay for less work, they are resistant to much more work or the most significant change in working conditions for many years. As I understand it the Class 1 railroads are changing the working conditions for the employees. As I understand it the big railroads want to operate trains RIGHT ON TIME and with minimum crews. This means if a train is planned to drag 120 railcars to a destination(s) the company wants that train leaving ON TIME with or without all 120 cars. Also, with minimum crew the trail could be operating with one person operating a mile-long train. I don't know what are the duties of that one employee operating that train but it could include walking that one mile distance to the end and back to the locomotive. I also hear that the companies want their employees to work more on a permanent version of their contracted HOS. I know truck drivers have to obey the HOS, but imagine the rest of your career, never having more than 10 hours off/resting and every day driving 11 hours/working 14 hours. While those are our rules, most days are not maximum-effort and minimum rest days because most customers work something like a normal work day. Despite being on the internet AND having a CDL, I am not an expert on their business. I won't cross any picket lines. I'm not driving these days, so I doubt it will be an issue for me.

9. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    They're free to get another job any time they wish. They're not prisoners. What they are is parasites that are treating their fellow Americans like pawns in their ignorant little game of extortion. Congress will give them the reality check they deserve. They do better than any of us out here are. Their unions are the strongest in the country so they get paid very well for what they do. Let them get real jobs in the public sector for a little while for a nice reality check. They're nothing but soldiers marching for power hungry Marxists.

10. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    GO BUCKEYES

11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I was much more anti-union in the past. Railroads and unions are largely union and benefits/pay/conditions are contract and seniority based. Yes, everyone is free to quit their 15-20 year job and start over somewhere else. These companies and the port workers have worked beyond their contract for years, as I understand it. If they were parasites they would have gone on strike 1 minute after their contract ended instead of working without a contract while negotiations continued. Everybody gets to decide how much nonsense they put up with and how much pay is required for them to keep showing up for work. I promise replacing even a substantial number of experienced railroad workers will disrupt plenty of railroads and customers, strike or not. I'm not an expert on their business or their working conditions. It's none of my business if the employees or the management decide to strike or work without a contract. I don't see how the employees have an obligation to the nation as a whole to work under new rules or different rules. When you got a CDL did you swear an oath to the general public to keep working no matter what rules your boss implemented? I didn't. If the economy tanks because railroad employees are replaced or strike, freight will move via other means. Slavery ended when the Republican president and Congress and voters voted to end it. I'm good with that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.