2023 Cascadia Rain Issue

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by cwb2009, Jan 26, 2024.

1. cwb2009

cwb2009 Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2024
    My 2023 Cascadia has a problem with the ABS, Brake Assist, Hill Assist, and Adaptive Cruise Control all stop working and the dash lights come on but only when driving on wet roads. Stop and turn the kill switch off for 10 minutes, the lite usually go away and everything works again. That is, until I stop and set the brakes, then they all light up again. Anybody know what's going on? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    You need to know what codes are being thrown. Check the wiring for the wheel speed sensors.

4. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Get the same with bendix on my 22 Pete. Been thru two modules. They tend to take in moisture.

5. cwb2009

cwb2009 Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2024
    To 062: They recently replaced some of the wiring, but it's still doing it. It's back in the shop again. My shop sent it over to the local Freightliner dealership since it's still under warranty. Maybe one of these years I'll get it back. Maybe it'll be fixed and maybe not. Appreciate your reply. Drive safe.

6. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    check truck diagnostics codes, a bad wheel sensor will make all those things stop working at the same time, the SPN FMI codes will tell which sensor it is. mine got confused in the wet a few times, cleared itself after a few days. then months later in the cold wet, raining as the sun went down and temps dropped below freezing, ice jacked the sensor permanently, lost ABS, hill start, traction control, and trans wouldn't work in auto, had to use manual mode, flashing F. just the front curbside wheel sensor was bad, fixed everything.

CMK Thanks this.
  7. cwb2009

cwb2009 Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2024
    Have no idea what the dealership did, but the problem has been reduced. In the last two weeks it's done it only twice versus daily like it used to do. To make the issue go away I simply hit the kill switch for at least 10 minutes and it clears all the faults. Strange.

Appreciate the reply shatteredsquare and I'll keep it in mind if the problem gets worse again.

shatteredsquare Thanks this.
  8. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I had similar symptoms. Turned out water was getting into the ABS connector. The wheel end sensor is only so long, then it plugged into an extension wire that took it to the abs module. When I pulled apart the connector it was green inside. I replaced both the sensor and the extension wire.

shatteredsquare and cwb2009 Thank this.
  9. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    I've had it come back a few times, twice, both times right after I had the wheel hard jacked to the left for an "maneuver".

I read something somewhere about a 'tone wheel' that can get very slightly bent.

I also think the metal tube with a slit in it that holds the sensor is maybe loose, I tapped on the sensor and it moved back in a little deeper in its tube, restarted truck, lights all gone. front curbside steer sensor. same lights, tap tap, same fix.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.