23 year veteran trucker fired!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by cmbyrom, Jul 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmbyrom

cmbyrom Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Hi....my husband got in a minor rear end collision last week. The trooper gave him a ticket for "careless driving." Hubby is 70 yrs. old, with 23 years' trucking experience. His company fired him, and I am devastated. We hired a law outfit out west to get rid of the fine and "careless drving," but the accident will still be on his driving record. My husband has called numerous trucking firms.....NO ONE will hire him. We are on Social Security, but it's hardly enough to sustain our modest lifestyle. Can anyone help us? Thank you.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SoCalRed

SoCalRed Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    Post your location and job preference (local, OTR, etc) @Chinatown should be able to list some companies.
    Do what you can to remove the careless driving. Many companies including the one I'm working for will fire a driver for rear end accident.
    Good luck.

tscottme, Lepton1, x1Heavy and 3 others Thank this.
  4. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Outside of this rear end collision how is his driving record? Any other infractions like speeding or improper lane changes?

Also, how is his work history? Stable with a lot of time at one job or lots of jobs in that 23 years?

One at fault accident should not keep him for getting hired on somewhere unless there are other indicators or risk. Not being mean, this is just how companies have to look at drivers today, and a rear wnd collision is 100% avoiadable unless it was intentional on the part of the vehicle in front of him as in an insurance scam. It that case he is just a victim.

@Chinatown should be able to help find a company for him.

tscottme, PE_T, Texas_hwy_287 and 3 others Thank this.
  5. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Rear enders in a Commercial Vehicle is usually a death sentence.

He'll probably have to find a small company that is willing to overlook it, but it's usually the insurance company that won't want to bind him because it'll be too expensive.

Where out West are you located?

6. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Try livestock hauling. Those psychopaths don’t seem to care about riding someone’s bumper at 80mph

7. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Especially when the guy is 70 years old, they don't like to insure an old codger who just had an accident even if it's the first in their lifetime.

MartinFromBC, Diesel Dave, DTP and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Careless is looked at like DUI from the companies point of view. Right wrong or indifferent its the way they are, like when I rolled the Valley Bulk Truck, non of the Cement haulers would touch me for a year, and major carriers was 3 years. And I was not at fault according to the CHP report, but because it was a DOT reportable is all they care, same with careless. Make sure the DMV report does not say careless on the accident, seatbelt, logbook violations on big deal, but the judeg has to change it in court.

9. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Lol. Right.
    Don't forget there's always 2 of them running together.
    85 mph , 5 foot off each other's bumper.

10. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Tell them you want to do lease purchase.
    He'll have a job tomorrow.

11. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Yes, and I don’t buy the line about how they’re in such a big hurry to get the animals where they’re going. The other day I was taking a 30min break at a rest area, and in comes a livestock hauler. He didn’t need to use the restroom. He just wanted to spend ten minutes petting the piglets, before hitting the road again.

QuietStorm, mhyn and PE_T Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.