24 y/o school bus driver arrested after 5 killed in rollover

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by double yellow, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes, I heard the same.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    School bus seats are taller, to protect kids and keep them "compartmentalized" in the event of a front-end collision. The high backs also protect in a rear-end collision. The bus isn't supposed to be driven by an idiot, though, and when you have a driver INTENTIONALLY wreck, no amount of additional safety features are going to help. Hell, how many kids might have died had they NOT been tossed clear of where that tree came through the roof? How many kids might have survived IF everyone was strapped in? It's all speculative, and you'd never know for sure unless you were able to rewind the tape, install seat belts, and let the same bus driver take those same kids on that same ride.

At any rate, busses remain the safest way for kids to get to and from school. Your kid is more likely to be involved in a fatal wreck being driven to school in the family car than on a bus.

Bus drivers have to undergo training. If you're hired on, even if you've already got your class B w/ passenger and have driven school busses in the past, there's 40 hours of supervised road training before you can be road tested. There's also a written test. Then there's the finger printing and background check, along with an 8 hour classroom session...with a 4 hour refresher EVERY YEAR to keep your school bus permit "active". You're subject to the SAME DOT regs regarding pre-employment, random, post-accident, and "for cause" drug screens.

Or at least that's how it was here back when I drove busses. I can't see things have been relaxed any...if anything, they've gotten more complicated.

wore out and not4hire Thank this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Getting 20+ roudy kids to buckle in and remain that way from school to home? Right. Good luck with that.

HotH2o and not4hire Thank this.
  5. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    The scum bag even left the scene without helping the kids. He will make some dude a good wife.

wore out Thanks this.
  6. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    where did you get that from....?

7. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    From the earlier posted video

That thing (not even enough to be called a man) better stay in solitary for a while. It better even consider not even trying for bail, as it is in danger from inside and outside where people will want to tan his hide.

wore out Thanks this.
  8. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    ok I didn't see that one

9. No germs

No germs Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2015
    GA
    Swift will bail the bus driver out of jail. Future Diamond Driver.

10. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I don't think that even Carolina Cargo will touch this one. Besides, by the time it should be getting out the only thing it will be driving is a hoveround. Personally I don't think he should get out ever, those kids got a permanent life sentence and so should he.

wore out, BoostedTeg and flood Thank this.
  11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Ok so three school busses have cut out in front of you over the course of your career. How many cars do that to you over the course of a day?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.