3.25 vs 3.55

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by FALCON 74, Jun 17, 2018.

1. FALCON 74

FALCON 74 Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I have 3.25 gears on my drives
    I have a 2013 Cummins bump up to a 475 hp with 1750 on the tork with a 13 speed
    Full system delete on it no DEF EGR
    @ 70 mph is at 1425 to 1430 on the rpms
    If I go up to 3.55 gears will it increase my rpms on a cruising speed or would it stay about the same rolling 22.5 tires

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    All other things the same, the higher the final drive ratio number the higher the rpm at the same speed. In other words, higher is lower geared.

RockinChair, KB3MMX, RERM and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I have the CM-871, the previous generation to your motor. I have the 3:42 gears in the rear, with an 18 speed. More than likely the same ratio as yours. At 65 mph in high gear, call it 18 for ease, or 13 on your truck, I run it on the low side at 1650 rpm. 1650 is where the fuel mileage is. You, are wasting fuel and lugging the motor. Lugging the motor leads to a fretted liner, normally #5 cylinder, and in frame before it is due. Drop down a gear on the splitter, take it to the low side and get those RPMs up and slow down. Just because there is a high gear does not mean you have to use it.

Humblepie and Oldironfan Thank this.
  5. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    In regards to the delete, who did it, and do you have a boost and pyro gauge? Did they leave all of the equipment on the motor? Did they empty ALL of the cans to the walls?

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Your RPMS will increase and you'll pull the hills slightly better.

7. FALCON 74

FALCON 74 Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Everything is empty they said the gauge was not needed

8. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    It will give you higher rev's with those diff ratios its all about take off and cruising speeds the higher the ratio the better take off you'll have for a standing stop however you'll also have higher revs at top speed the lower the ratio eg. 3.25 you will get less acceleration on take off, however you'll also get lower revs at top speed so you lose pick up but gain on fuel economy ideally you want to be running at say 1400 - 1500 at say 65 mph to get premium miles per gallon fuel economy. Once you go beyond that speed forget about getting good fuel economy. Here are some fuel saving facts: FACT 1. A typical 420hp heavy-duty truck engine consumes fuel at the rate of around two litres an hour when left idling and stationary. FACT 2. If tyre pressure falls below recommended figures, rolling resistance increases and fuel is wasted e.g. a 10lb psi fall in tyre pressure is likely to result in a 1% fall in fuel economy. FACT 3. Fuel is directly proportional to the speed your truck is travelling. A 22% reduction in fuel consumption can be achieved simply by reducing your speed from 56 to 50 MPH

Driver Eight, KB3MMX and FALCON 74 Thank this.
  9. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Your rear end ratio is the number of turns of the pinion gear needed for each revolution of the ring gear, or, in simplified terms, the number of times your driveshaft needs to make a complete rotation in order for the wheels to make one.
    3.25 means that there's one full revolution of your ring gear and wheels for every 3.25 revolutions of the driveshaft and pinion gear. 3.55 means that driveshaft needs to make 3.55 revolutions for each revolution of the wheel. 3.55 being a higher number means the driveshaft needs to turn more in order to complete a revolution of the wheels, ergo, you'll run higher RPMs at any speed.

RockinChair and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  10. PolishedPete

PolishedPete Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2019
    I Know this is an Old Thread, but I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on my truck setup. I don't have the truck yet, but I want to be an owner operator some day. I'm going for the match of power and fuel efficiency.

Peterbilt 567
    3.08 Gear Ratio
    Cummins X15 525HP 2050TQ
    13 Speed Eaton

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  11. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    What tire size?

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.