3 car hauler questions...

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Duperdispatch, Sep 11, 2011.

1. CulliganMan

CulliganMan Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2008
    North Jersey
    Because the FL 70 can be registered for a higher GVW making the set up legal in NJ. And yes, you need a CDL for this combination.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. grimesjm1

grimesjm1 Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Kensington,OH

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  4. Rat

Rat Road Train Member

I got into this raquet hauling cars, We were required to get a class A to run the rig below across state lines when doing business, ie hauling cars for money.

We upgraded to something with a sleeper so we could log sleeper time since you can really do it in the back of a 4 dr pickup.

5. blazer1

blazer1 Light Load Member

Sep 5, 2010
    so. jersey
    Don't forget more power and torque, and the gas mileage would probably be about the same too.

Karen O Thanks this.
  6. Ramster

Ramster Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2015
    I have a CDL A for quite a few years now.
    I also have had my share of DOT nightmares as well running like a gypsy hoping to get threw a
    Run with no trk issues or violations. ...lets just say with an old trk it's a challenge in itself.
    Limited funds will only makes it riskier.
    I made a lot money running snowbirds etc with a 2000 Freightliner 10car hi rail
    But like any veteran owner operator will tell you
    it's not how much you made its how much you keep that matters.
    Anyway I know my story isn't all that unique to hear.
    But in short I lost not only a hell of a alot of money but alot of time and effort as well.
    Bottom line. ...
    There's no short cuts to hauling period. Come in From experience,(CARS & TRUCKS especially)
    When it comes to DOT compliance with or without CDL....
    If you don't have the credentials & reliable equipment ,weather its a duelly with a
    3car wedge or a 7/8/10car with fairly new tractor. ...Don't waste your time trying to be successful in this buisness
    without having the right cdl class license class B regaurdless if your slightly under 26,100k or without newer version of equipment that you intend to maintain, respect,& baby up and down the daily.
    unless you have a lot of luck and money and time to waste. ..There's only one way
    The right way.....

mcnabbtransport and wanttotruck Thank this.
  7. dstraight12

dstraight12 Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2015
    A realistic estimate is about $10K a year for insurance that covers the pulling unit, liability, trailer, and cargo. Consider not using the vehicle for personal use because a lot of carriers will not quote it if you do. Make sure if anyone else has access to drive you know their driving record is clear. No prior insurance, violations, and private use all are factors that drive up the cost and limit the number of carriers interested in quoting. It is NOT a fast process so plan early, be thorough, and give adequate time to get quotes. Then double check the agent's work to make sure they put in the right data to get the quote - many don't either because they don't know what they are doing or because they just want to get a cheap price. Ignorance can cost you so ask for copies of the Accord forms used to submit - if they provided false or incorrect information get up and walk. Unethical business practices will come back to haunt you.

8. truckertrey

truckertrey Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2014
    What companies dispatch to 3 car haulers That pay good

9. Rocky the Flying Squirrel

Rocky the Flying Squirrel Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2015
  10. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    Nobody.

Ziggy319 and HeWhoMustNotBeNamed Thank this.
  11. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    Hold your calls, we have a winner!!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.