3406B coolant temp sensor location

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by mile marker 27, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I think that is for a Kysor shut-down system and your high temp light. I was thinking it was two pole, but obviously I was wrong. Does your dash have a spring loaded switch that says overide? One of ours has that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mile marker 27

mile marker 27 Road Train Member

Dec 4, 2019
    I don’t think it has an overide switch, but I might be wrong.
    This is gonna make y’all grin. I got a leaking steer wheel seal, front drive line out put seal and real drive in put seal a leaking. Engine fan isn’t coming on automatically. Can’t seem to get the jakes to work and old baw I bought it off of says, “I’ve had to fiddle with the hand throttle several times to get it to work”, amp gauge and dash lights. Dang, I know it!! You baws hang with me please. This da gone thread might outlast ol’ Biden.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  4. mslashbar

mslashbar Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2009
    elizabeth,co
    The 2 wire sending unit next to the temp sending unit is your fan switch. The 3 wire sure looks like an override switch.

mile marker 27 and Oxbow Thank this.
  5. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    @wore out is the best guy I know on this older equipment, and he has helped me out a bunch. I'll help if I can.

I suppose the wiring has been adapted over the years, but one thing that has really helped me out is getting schematics for all the wiring from Peterbilt. My dealer is willing to email me the pdf s. Being able to know what a labeled wire is supposed to do has been very helpful.

On my trucks the air solenoid for the fan is mounted on the firewall. You should be able to cross the two poles on the fan sender to help trouble shoot it. I'll be happy to send photos of anything on mine if it helps.

mile marker 27 and wore out Thank this.
  6. mile marker 27

Dec 4, 2019
    I seen the solenoid on the firewall, it looks to have one hot wire and a ground that goes directly to firewall.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  7. mile marker 27

Dec 4, 2019
    I’m going to Peterbilt today and see about a wiring schematic. I guess this gas filled coolant sensor and gauge combination are bad. There’s really nothing electronic about it aside from the light in the gauge? I’ll probably pick up another cab power relay.

8. mile marker 27

Dec 4, 2019
    Since I have some intermittent things not getting power in the cab, is the cab power relay responsible for ALL dash functions and dash lights?

Oxbow Thanks this.
  9. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I don't think so. The keyed electrical functions go through the re-setable IGN pop-out breaker in the bottom of the fuse panel. Then there is the big relay behind the left dash panel that most everything else goes through. There is also a big (50 amp?) breaker on the inside of the left frame rail above the starter.

mile marker 27 Thanks this.
  10. mile marker 27

Dec 4, 2019
    Got another relay that goes behind the left dash panel. Installed but no change in amp gauge or dash lights. It was so darn cold, with the truck sitting out, I didn’t try starting it. With one wire(+) coming from the alternator, I assume it’s going down the battery post on the start the starter solenoid, with voltage read from that area?

11. mile marker 27

Dec 4, 2019
    As far as relation, engine(4mg 3406B), is not the original engine. The guy at Pete said and I forget, that the truck had an earlier model 3406B. I guess it doesn’t matter which style of coolant temp sensor I go with, just as long as I go with the complete set up. He did tell me and I think you guys pointed this out already for the other style gauge, “Don’t get this temp sensor from International. They require a different OHM and won’t work”. Of course that’s if I go with the electric gauge.

wore out Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.