3406b low boost and fuel pressure issues

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by rs72z, May 28, 2022.

1. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    It would be easy enough to add, and would interesting to watch, and....... some ecms (between the ears) might make adjustments accordingly!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    intake manifold temp sensor on a 1995 cat 3406 engine? - Search
    1995 Caterpillar 3406E Engine Control Module (ECM) For Sale | Lakefield, ON, Canada | CAT95-2108-ECM-BSM | MyLittleSalesman.com
    Maybe I'm a little confused.
    Maybe not. I'll try to back of a little on my medication.
    It might help my focus. Who knows.
    I know that changing that sensor on a 1996 CAT 3406B fixed that pesky problem.
    It was very hard to find it too. But if 1995 he has is that much different...

4. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Your confused. CAT produced the 3406C which many confuse with a B until 97 or 8 you could get a full mechanical in a road truck. However in 94 or 95 they also introduced the 3406E which is an electronic engine and has the sensor you speak of. The B and C full mechanical not PEEC had a rod from the pedal to the pump. All fuel and timing control is done by oil pressure, springs and flyweights.

With the overlap and many just make the reference 3406 it’s easy to do. Be confused I mean

5. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    Then I'm definitely confused.
    Sorry. Should I back of my medication too? LOL. /s

6. rs72z

rs72z Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2021

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  7. rs72z

rs72z Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2021
    I tried to post pic of back of the pump. To check for full rack you put the test light on the threaded stud at bottom right side nest to block? If so it never lite up the tester before governor caught it.
    What’s next step with that?

Also pulled elbow of exhaust side of turbo and it looks perfect.

8. rs72z

rs72z Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2021
    Ok after a little more checking today i did find some boost leaks.
    I pressured up the system the way @wore out said. I found a pretty good leak at one intercooler clamp and i hate to say also found a hole wore in the line going to boost gauge. Also found a leak around one bolt on the elbow to intake manifold and some very small leaks at a few intake gasket to the head, i put the gaskets on dry guess i should have used a little rtv on them?
    Maybe these fixes will help some. Still curios about the rack getting full travel?

9. wore out

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Don’t use RTV in those intake gaskets. The heat will cook it lol. Just get a smooth clean surface, the gasket will have a slight lip it goes up. Snug the bolts then start in middle working your way out to 40 ftlbs

spsauerland, Oxbow and rs72z Thank this.
  10. rs72z

rs72z Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2021
    Thanks for that info.
    What do you think about the full rack travel issue, if i was even did it right checking it.

11. wore out

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    There is a guide that goes under the torque spring pac. It’s sticks way off over to that side. It could be bent, missing etc. either way it’s a pull the rear housing off at this point. I have a cut away govnor housing I use to look at it.

you did put the test light clamp to positive right not ground?

Oxbow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.