3406b turn up

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by 92pete, Sep 9, 2009.

1. 92pete

92pete Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2009
    magdalena NM
    Yeah , but I'm to cheap to pay anybody to do it!!
    If anybody is going to mess up my truck it's going to be me.:biggrin_2551:

So when the pin on the injection pump is lined up at TDC, is that where I want it???? Or do I want to advance it more??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    If both the pin in the flywheel and pump drop in at the same time, your timing is not advanced. If they don't, pull your pin on the flywheel, keep pressure on the pin in the pump and keep turning the motor. If you only turn it a little bit and the pin drops in the pump, your timing is retarded, which does happen so don't freak out. IF it doesn't, your just on the wrong stroke so keep turning and put the pin in the flywheel so it stops the motor when you hit TDC, your holes should be lined up this time around. You ahve to do this by hand witha 15/16" socket and ratchet.

After you figure your on the right stroke and TDC, loosen the 4 bolts on the timing advance, 9/16" socket, Do not take the timing advance off, just loosen the nuts! pull the pin on the pump and bump it counter clockwise very little. look down in the hole in the pump, don't go over half a hole to start. Tighten it back up. make sure the weights in side are pushed in all the way!

After everything is tight just pull the pin in the flywheel put the nose cone back on, make sure all tools are out of the way and start it up.

EDIT...I just realized 05chopper explained all this on the first page...LOL

4. 05chopper

05chopper Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2008
    USA
    Les! You got it all right accept when you recheck the step on the fuel pump! Do not advance the fuel pump any more than 1/8 inch from the bottom plug hole.

5. 92pete

92pete Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2009
    magdalena NM
    OK, Today I decided to try to advance the timing. IT DIDN'T Work.:biggrin_25510: found TDC, and the pump was right where I could pin it. So I loosened the outer adance bolts and turned it so there was about half the knotch showing in the bottom. Started it and it would barley Idle. White smoke, the timing was way to advanced. So I put it back where it was and it started right up. Did I not do it right?????? WTF.

I did turn the fuel screws out 3 truns and everything went fine there. Haven't pulled with it yet but I can't wait to loader down.

I guess that I need to let someone meter time it. The way I tried is like shooting in the dark.

6. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    It should've just rattled but still ideled alright. I've been playing with mine some and I only have it advanced about a 1/16" and that seems to be the best right now.

Just barely bump it to where you see the bottom edge of the lip showing in the hole. About the thickness of your fingernail. try it there.

Meter timing would be best if you can find somone to do it.

7. pichu

pichu Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2009
    mexifornia
    hello les!!!!! can you send me an email

8. pichu

pichu Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2009
    mexifornia
    thank you black dog but i have a problem right here. i cant start the treat, i cant say thanks and i cant see the avatars of people i dont know if its my computer or they blocked me i also had problems with my first dpf in manual isx .

9. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA

In the TDG forum?

10. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Sent email david.

11. 359kool

359kool Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2009
    alabama
    You turned it the wrong way driver.. :biggrin_25523:
    The white smoke is fuel that was injected so late that compression was to low for ignition..

If you put it back to stock timing already [ meaning the flywheel and pump pinhole can both be pinned at the same time] then you only need to pin the pump now..
    A new 3/8 drill bit works well as a pin..

Slowly turn your engine opposite the direction it turns when its running with a pull handle on one of the 15/16" damper bolts..
    This way when the pin drops about 3/8" you have the slack out of the front geartrain..

With the pump pinned loosen the outer bolts on the advance just enough to bump the engine opposite normal engine rotation, same direction you were already going..

I'm only assuming by your screen name that you have a '92 year engine, but if your serial # starts with 7fb or 4mg, then stock timing is fast enough..

Depends on what engine you have really as to how far to bump it..
    1/4" to 1/2" of damper travel usually does it for a 3zj..
    If it rattles you went to far..

Back the rack screws out about 6.5 turns from stock before you set the timing to get the best performance and mileage..

Edit: Remove the stop screw in the front of the advance while your in there also..[same allen wrench as a rack screw]

:biggrin_25524::biggrin_25524:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.