3406e Camshaft difference

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by UpperDevker, Feb 18, 2018.

1. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    No such thing as a stupid question. That' how we learn. !

snowman_w900, wore out, SAR and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Only stupid question is one you didn't ask. This is a place to exchange ideas and with research and trial and error figure out what works best for you!

4. DieselTech_Aus

DieselTech_Aus Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    6NZ iron..... you’ve got a free pass to 550hp all factory with just a flash filezzzx. Or 7cz 600 file

snowman_w900 Thanks this.
  5. DieselTech_Aus

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    The fan should cut in at 73C inlet and even on full load/boost 100% throttle it will bring them down with the extra air being pulled through the CAC

Let it have full boost. It will flow it and use it up

Extra air/boost won’t hurt a diesel. It’s when the fuel is added it makes grunt and adds extra strain on the engine and heat. However if there is too much fuel for the air it will generate expedentully greater heat rapidly.

Ol_Red_73 and snowman_w900 Thank this.
  6. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    This is in a dump truck (transfer box set up) that used to gross over 100,000 lbs. I believe. I purchased it out of Canada, and I'm not familiar enough with their weight laws to know exactly.
    Anyway, we use it strictly as a 10 wheeler, and it is hard to work the engine at all @475 weighing around 50,000 lbs.
    We sometimes haul over Teton pass which is several miles of 10% grade and that will work it, but we still have to let off a bit in the corners. So, I really don't think we need any more power out of it.

snowman_w900 and SAR Thank this.
  7. DieselTech_Aus

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    [​IMG] Don’t Need anymore power out of it!!!!!

Son pull your socks up and go and have a good long hard look in the mirror. Repeat that phrase until you comprehend just how ridiculous that sounds

snowman_w900, swaan and Oxbow Thank this.
  8. DieselTech_Aus

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    That was a light hearted joke FYI

Please don’t take offense

snowman_w900, swaan and Oxbow Thank this.
  9. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    High intake air plus high boost pressure dramatically increases combustion temperature and cylinder pressure. It is a recipe for a blown head gasket or worse. With the higher cylinder temps coming up to TDC on compression, fuel ignition lag is gone and timing is advanced at a time it should be re-tarted(spelled wrong on purpose). The density of air is also less with high IAT. All Cat flash files maps assume stock turbo, cam, injectors, trims, etc so when you change stuff around it is up to operators to grab a gear down and get that hot air out quicker @ a higher RPM and cool things off on intake and exhaust. Higher boost doesnt always mean more efficiency. Higher boost takes more drive pressure to produce. Need to find the sweet spot of all. This is just my opinion.

10. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I took it as such.

Jacobjaydub465., snowman_w900 and SAR Thank this.
  11. DieselTech_Aus

Dec 20, 2017
    WA

That is 100% correct. Your opinion is absolutely factual and spot on.

I have found that here where we can gross 90-130 t even the factory turbo will get intake air to 73C where the fan cuts in and that starts to reduce the inlet temp for the remainder of that pull. Generally reducing it to between 55-65C for the remainder of the pull

I find the extra 10 odd psi from the BW0000 unit gets the temp up to 73C quicker but once the fan is in temps are much the same on the pull as the factory one.

I agree more boost isn’t always more efficient. However with that turbo in particular I believe the superior turbin wheel and housing flow the expelled gas out well.

Which is why the pyro drops 80-100C over the factory unit

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    snowman_w900 and spsauerland Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.