3406e Camshaft difference

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by UpperDevker, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Aside from some potential fuel mileage increase with judicious use of added horsepower tuning, more power used costs money in fuel, less engine life, tire life, and drive train longevity. I think anybody that runs big power will be the first to admit that, and it is a price that they are willing to pay.

I am all about tuning an engine up to the threshold that it can be worked hard and still live, but in this case we cannot maintain maximum boost for more than a few seconds without needing to shift or reaching the speed limit, so the cost of the uprate ($1,500?) is just not a priority to me.

Having said that, I have never complained about too much power!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DieselTech_Aus

DieselTech_Aus Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    Sometimes depending on application. More power can mean better fuel economy. Better economy means less fuel burnt. Engine life should be calculated on fuel burn over mileage.

But I certainly understand what you’re saying

4. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Yea, that is what I was trying to say in the first sentence.

snowman_w900 and SAR Thank this.
  5. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    That same thing I see with the 14969880000. Lower EGT, but IAT that shoot up quite quickly if you lay on fuel. First one I put on driver noticed more fan on with a pull. Checked cooling side, but finally figured it was high IAT kicking it on during ride along with ET. Splitting gear on pull seemed to do the trick at lower EGT than used to. Don't get me wrong, I do highly prefer the turbo over OEM and think it is better product. One thing that always stuck with me about IAT was training school on new KW/Pete gray motors. Fan on goes by set solid coolant temp, set A/C pressure, engine brake stage setting, set P/S temp, etc, but IAT is not a solid set number. It is based off of other current sensor readings and mapping. Asking questions, they felt other manufacturer set numbers were to high during heavy pulling @ peak torque. Instructor just said think about ones that are none for head gaskets and smiled.

snowman_w900, SAR and Oxbow Thank this.
  6. WRT Boss Lady

WRT Boss Lady Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2016
    This seems to be a good place to ask my similar question....
    ESN 5EK-32066 born with a 187-9381 Camshaft that needs to be replaced.

From a donor motor I can harvest a 139-0538 camshaft but I can't find enough information to make a judgement call on the impact of substituting this part.

Will it even work?
    If so....more or less horsepower?
    ECM tuning required?

I've done enough of this research to know you can spend days looking at nothing helpful and just do it anyway and you come out better than ever. But sometimes it's a crash and burn.... LOL.... I will not "gamble" with this $15,000 engine, nor do I want to spend a grand when I already own something compatible.

If you got this far.... Thank you!

Related information:
    40 pin ECM
    OR 7923 turbo
    1026236 injectors

snowman_w900 Thanks this.
  7. DieselTech_Aus

DieselTech_Aus Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    your donor engine has the 550hp cam In it. yours is 435hp cam.

without having personally done it I would say the 550hp cam will breath a little better. I would fit it if it were my truck but I would check injector height by winding over until injector plunger is fully depressed and the adjust the height by bottoming the plunger with the screw and then coming back to maintain 3/4 of a turn from bottoming out at full camshaft depress of plunger.

the other geometry should all be the same

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  8. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Wouldn’t the 550 cam along with any other cam, (800, 1000) just have a wider lope instead of higher lift for more fuel? Or is it both ?
    My 5Ek was born 435 but I’m running a 550 BS file and BW turbo stage 1 as they call it .

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    Oxbow Thanks this.
  9. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Here is specs on cams for lift and base circle. Use 139-0537 for reference(group vs cam p/n). Charts doesn't give duration, lobe separation, etc. Your cam has same specs as 130-9710, but we all know it isnt close to the same!(800HP cam)

Attached Files:

HISPEED428, SAR, pushbroom and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.