3406e shuts down while driving

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by LOK1208, Oct 30, 2016.

1. LOK1208

LOK1208 Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2016
    I have '98 Peterbilt 357 tri axle that shuts down intermittently while driving. Over the last month the problem has become more frequent. The truck may run a mile or a few days before the problem occurs. After it shuts down it will crank but not start for 15-30 minutes. I've finally taken the truck to Caterpillar and they seemed to think it was an electrical problem. They ran new power and grounds to the ECM and checked the battery terminals. They also checked for codes but didn't find anything. They released the truck but when they went to move it would not start. Caterpillar then started in another direction and replaced a check valve in the fuel system. After picking up the truck it ran good for one full day and on the second day the same problem occured again.

I've noticed that the fuel pressure drops to zero as soon as the truck is shut down. Is that normal?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    First things that popped into my mind would be a fuel shut off solenoid, fuel pump issue or something in the fuel tank blocking the fuel pick up, shine a flash light into the fuel tank and look for a foreign object like a rag or contamination. Did anyone pull a fuel sample, check the fuel filters?

4. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    It should not fall to zero right after the key is turned off. Either a faulty check valve (yes I have had them bad right out of the box) or they didn't replace the o-rings on the check valve. There is also a valve in transfer pump. Or a weak o-ring on an injector letting pressure seep off. But this would cause other symptoms.

5. LOK1208

LOK1208 Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2016
    I've drained the tanks completely, changed the fuel filter and the separator with oem filters. No one has done any fluid samples. BTW where is the fuel shut off solenoid located? What other symptoms might a leaking injector o-ring cause. I thought the truck may be running a little different but nothing substantial. For example it doesn't seem to be missing but the idle sounds a little different than before.

6. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    There is a couple more power wires and ground wires inside the harness that can break. I had that issue. It was the switched power wire that goes go the fuse panel. They also ran two grounds directly to the battery from the ecm bypassing the cab harness. Mine did it for 2-3 years and wouldnt show any codes or anything. When the switched wire would lose contact it was just like turning the key off.

7. LOK1208

LOK1208 Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2016
    You would think they would have addressed this at CAT. it sounds like I could have multiple issues. Again, the fuel pressure drops to zero immediately after I shut down the motor. Could that pressure drop after shut down cause the issue of shutting down while driving. Another issue I forgot to mention is the cooling fan only works in the on position. When switched to auto the temp gauge rises quickly. At what temp should the engine run? With the switch on it stays at 150 degrees.

8. miszel

miszel Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2016
    I had the same problem about 9 years ago on my than kw with 3406 e. Kw dealers change ecm wireing bunch a sensors i have been towed 4 times and all this for nothing. It was bad silinoid in the breaker box it was overheatting. Change all of them they only 24 dollars a piece

9. special-k

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    The fuel pressure dropping off immediately should affect you going doen the road. Mine drops off slowly after shutting the truck off. I dont even think cat has a fuel solenoid valve. Tge check valve is above the filter head on the side of the engine. 1" 1/4 wrench to loosen it I think? The only time I ever had an issue with it was after the truck sat for 3 months. It would lose its prime as soon as you shut it off. I replaced the valve but it still did it. I had to crack that fitting loose and sometimes fill the secondary filter and the truck would fire up and run perfectly. That fun went on for two weeks and then mysteriously cured itself. I think my threats about sending the POS to Mexico finally got through to the ecm

10. LOK1208

LOK1208 Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Update...had the truck idling for about 45 minutes and it just shut down. Took dash apart and moved some wires and the truck started without having to wait the usual 15-30 minutes. I then moved the wires again and it caused the truck to stumble. I cant tell which wire(s) are the culprit. I checked the ignition switch wires and they were tightened securely. Btw I replaced the switch a few months ago in an effort to cure another problem with starting by throwing parts at it. Could the start button be the cause of the shutting down? What about the fuse box? I've heard Peterbilt are notorious for the fuse panels going bad due to leaking windshields.

11. special-k

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Behind the left hand dash panel theres a main relay. IIRC it supplies power to the dash. Its buried in there. I changed mine when i was chasing the same problem you had. I think it was 35 bucks and a but if a pain to change. You can check the panel for water issues but i think that is overblown. Pete's are inside the cab not like kw where they are half in and half out. Pretty easy to check it in any event. BTW if you have good insurance that relay is live all the time so thats a good place for a fire to start lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.