3406e shutter missing

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Magnetic379, Jan 13, 2019.

1. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Your fuel pressure that high tells me there is a restriction. The fuel going through the head does 2 things. Gets rid of unwanted air particles and cools the injector body.

I would replace your return fuel lines with #8. High fuel pressure is hard on O rings possible I guess. Although I'm still confused on what actual Orings are bad. If it's the one closest to the tip of injector and not the big blue one 1/2 way up then no. Fuel pressure has nothing to do with the one closest to the tip..

Get your fuel pressure under control first

Oxbow and spsauerland Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Good point, the two top o-rings are for fuel the small o-ring burning away at the tip is just a seal till carbon builds up and replaces it as it burns away. I think i posted before. High fuel pressure heats fuel up. High enough it can actually "cook" your fuel.

Oxbow and spsauerland Thank this.
  4. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Yes high pressure heats up fuel. Just imagine if his fuel cant get back to tank fast enough and stays in head to long. Hot fuel is a understatement in this case. Lol

Oxbow and Superhauler Thank this.
  5. idahoheavyhaul

idahoheavyhaul Light Load Member

Nov 15, 2019
    Idaho
    Superhauler and swaan just got home from working on the truck all day. Here is the results:
    1. Replaced return line with #8 fuel line
    2. Replaced o-rings on all fuel line fittings
    3. Bran return line straight to tank and by passed fuel cooler (Incase it’s restricted for some reason, even though it’s only a couple months old)
    4. Installed new stock transfer pump spring in
    5. Replaced fuel injector wire harness, old one was old and cracked. I already had it so why not.
    I returned the doosan 300 loader to my customer, I suppose to deliver this weekend. Truck seem to run pretty good, Im almost positive it was a fuel temp problem. By the time I got home the truck had a very small shutter. So much much better!!! Lots of power in the low R’s, but still feels a little flat past 1500 rpm.
    After that drive I found the fuel line fitting o-ring leaking a little and pulled valve cover to replace harness.
    I don’t have a fuel pressure gauge, so
    Tomorrow I have a small 90,000 lbs bridge girder to haul in the morning. Afterwards I will stop by Peterbilt and have them hook up a pressure gauge for a readings are idle and under a load. Thank you both for the guidance!!

Dino soar, Wheeljack, Oxbow and 3 others Thank this.
  6. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Let's hope for the best. Keep us updated!

Dino soar, Wheeljack, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  7. idahoheavyhaul

Nov 15, 2019
    Idaho
    Thanks Swaan!

Oxbow and pushbroom Thank this.
  8. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Once it gets broken in, lets put a good file in it.

Wheeljack, Oxbow and swaan Thank this.
  9. idahoheavyhaul

Nov 15, 2019
    Idaho
    How much does a good file cost? What benefits would I get? The motor might be broke in? I’ve put around 30k miles on the motor, and since I’ve owned it, the truck pulls at least 110k everyday and three 185ft 13 axle bridge girders at 220,000- 260,000 lbs each over 400 miles one way over the summer. The route had 2 hills I think they where 7% grades for at least 8 miles.. Lewiston Grade in Lewiston ID, and Whitebird grade both on hey 95, took 1 hr to climb each of them. 220 gallons of fuel loaded to job site each time.. not many heavy haul trucks I’ve been around last much more than 300,000 miles. I’ve always wanted to try a different power file. Let me know

Hawk6275 and Oxbow Thank this.
  10. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Depends on who does it for you on cost. I would think with your application a 5DS 600/2050 brakesaver file with 2300 RPM would help. If you want more a good set of flow matched of 58's Diesel Controls, Inc. and a turbo out of the S410SX or S430SX BW family.

11. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Only issue I have with turning it up with a file and bigger injectors is you drag heavy loads. You have to be careful of how you set it up. Can easily score liners or worse. A good turbo and tweaking fls fld # a little would benifit you enough.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.