3406E turbo upgrade

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by FoolsErrand, Sep 21, 2019.

1. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    High mileage cat 3406E with a 2WS at original 550hp that i suspect may have been derated during the fuel crunch or maybe to clip a hotrod hand's wings a little some time in he past.. It makes 30psi but will get passed up the same hill with the same loads by our 475 horse E models with 10 speeds and im running a 13. Its just kinda weak. Many fuel filters, no boost leaks, wastegate wired shut. No check engine light until last week.. Code 51, intermittent power to ECM which im trying to track down.

The current turbo isnt blowing smoke but the cartridge bearings have too much side play and the discharge elbow on the compressor cover has vibration grooves worn in where the Orings ride. New Orings helped but still too loose for my taste. Its a borg warner S410G i believe.

Is there an OEM direct fit turbo with slightly better top end efficiency in the compressor map? Have a friend with the laptop that im trying to have check out the parameters and would like him to load a hotter FTS setting in there if all checks out. Not looking to teardown or spend big bucks.. Just replace worn parts and wonder if theres a same price upgrade. Maybe a marine spec turbo or something?

0918190937-1.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Screenshot_20190920-073945_Samsung Internet.jpg this would be the next step up from your stock replacement your running now.
    Oh and your not gaining anything by pinching the WG off.

4. FoolsErrand

Sep 15, 2017
    Gained about 4psi actually.

5. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Yup and more intake air heat. Does nothing for power. But geez look at this turbo spin!!!

6. FoolsErrand

Sep 15, 2017
    Maybe if youre pushing something way outside the efficiency island. Egt didnt climb noticeably at all on this one. Ive logged a lot of drive pressure vs boost pressure vs exhaust and intake temps on race engines.

7. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Geesh, it actually cools the egts off generally. I know of several trucks that has to have it pinched off to keep cool under a heavy load, including mine when I ran a stock turbo and was pulling doubles grossed at 151,000. and I don't have a clue how much I gained, but at the very least 14 pounds, I would back out of it at 40.
    You can get that same turbo 177148 turbo without a wastegate, and pull 50 pounds with a little programming.
    You can also get turbos with more on the top end, but there is a trade off and it is usually slower spooling, and the need to keep your rpms higher.

I have the one with the wastegate, and picked up a half gear on many of the hills.

8. DieselTech_Aus

DieselTech_Aus Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    i
    it cools the EGTs that you see on the dash. which is post turbine wheel. really not a good indicator of actual exhaust temps. accurate data would be from the flange just before the turbo.

it will drop the EGTs on the dash gauge yes, but its not really dropping them. When the wastegate line is not blocked the waste gate will open somewhere between 10 and 20psi. once its open the wasted exhaust gas then comes straight out of the manifold, through the wastegate and onto the sensor and out the dump pipe. effectively when the waste gate is open the sensor is reading gas directly from the engine.

when its blocked all the gas has to travel through the turbine wheel before it can go out the dump pipe, passing the sensor. because of this the time the gas is traveling around the turbine wheel it is being cooled by the ambient temperature on the other side of the housing. because it is forced around the turbine wheel where the housing acts as a heat exchanger to the ambient air it will be cooler by the time it reached the EGT sensor.

so given that, yes the gauge shows cooler EGTs, but the engine isn't really seeing cooler EGTs.

benjamin260_6 Thanks this.
  9. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I can see what you are saying, but I also know one in real world working that was pinched off all it's life and still run max egt's with the programming, the loads it pulled and the steep grades we pull, with no problems.
    I did not run mune long, but tghe turbo had a lot of miles on it before I pinched it off, so as soon as I finished pulling the doubles I ooened it back up. It was not long before it broke the shaft then, I do not know if that had anything to do with it, or it was just time to go.
    I do have a hole drilled, tapped and plugged in mt exhaust manifold for a pyro probe, but have it in th epipe.

10. zbright85

zbright85 Bobtail Member

May 31, 2018
    How much boost is too much for a stock 3406e? I usually pull 36 but this morning was cool and air must have been good I was getting 42 and could have went higher but I had to let out of it on every hill so I stayed back down around 36

11. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Are you running the stock cat turbo with wg pinched or a Borg warner??

The engine is fine at those boost levels , it's the turbo that might go boom depending on what your running and how you run it.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.