3500 Dually - Upgrading from 3 Car Wedge to 4 or 5

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by KnoxScrub, Jun 10, 2018.

1. KnoxScrub

KnoxScrub Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2018
    I have spent days going through these forums and signed up today for some input. I have pulled with a 3500 and a 3 car wedge for over 10 years as a car dealer. Last year I went full time into transport and have been using my 2004 Ram 3500, 5.9 and have done really well with it. [​IMG]

I, now, have just purchased a 2017 Ford F-350 Dually (67k miles) with a special financing opportunity. I could not finance a class 7 or 8 truck but eventually is my ultimate goal (with a 6 car trailer).

I see a lot of transporters pulling these Mini 5 Kaufmans with a 3500... I was going to upgrade to a EZ loader 4 car but for an additional $3,000.00 I can get a Mini 5. The additional money per month for an additional car is drawing me to the 5 car but seems insane to me to pull a 5 car trailer with a dually.

I would love some feedback from people that have experience with this situation. I understand that a class 7 or 8 truck would be better but it's not an option for me at this time, should be in 2 years.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kw550cat

kw550cat Medium Load Member

May 22, 2012
    brooklyn, new york
    No first hand experience with them but if you find it unsafe then it kind of answers itself

4. KnoxScrub

KnoxScrub Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2018
    I just assume there’s a reason that there is 8-12 of these sitting at Manheim Auctions when I pull in and out each week. That’s my hurdle. Could be over thinking it.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  5. KnoxScrub

KnoxScrub Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2018
    I have since found several threads that discuss this very thing that are very insightful.

Thanks! Just new to the forum and figuring out what exactly to search for.

6. kw550cat

kw550cat Medium Load Member

May 22, 2012
    brooklyn, new york
    At the end of the day people do it. It will push your equipment, so keeping up with maintenance amd being proactive will be important. Running a setup that big you’ll have to be more mindful about stopping and your axle weights.

7. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    There are multiple post about same question :
    Simple answer is - get class 8 single axle and be done unless you want bigger trailer and haul more cars .
    My calculations were :
    Your 67k ford will be garbage in 3-4 years , Kaufman - much worse , I always thought this co co decided to make to fortune on the guys who want to become " car hauler " , I had 4 cars Kaufman literally falling apart being 4 years old ( unless you plan to move Toyota Corolla size vehicles only ).
    Those pick up trucks were made for different purpose - not to pull 35-40k full time .
    At this price you can get extremely nice owner operator rig that will oulast probably 2-3 ford trucks ....don't get me wrong - I personally like ford trucks , specially with those 6.7 engines .
    Just my thought

kenn2632, HaulinCars and Oldironfan Thank this.
  8. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Other point of view :
    I have seen guy on our parking lot with ford 350 and some kind of aluminum trailer wedge ( got even sleeper in that trailer , not sure how you can use it in winter or summer ) and he is doing only sedans , no SUVs , no salvage cars ...in 5 years his trailer looks still same , truck he is changing every 4 years ...he is pretty happy ...

9. KnoxScrub

KnoxScrub Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2018
    I appreciate the feedback. I found some helpful posts after creating this thread. I’m not able to purchase a class 8 yet due to finances/lending. I should be able to in a couple of years. At that time I’ll move to a Frieghliner m2 and a six car rig but for now, I have this F-350 and would like to work it.

I’ve done really well the last year with my ram 3500 and the three car wedge netting about 2k a week. Just enamored with the idea of jumping to a 5 car.

May wind up just going to a 4 car for the next 2 years until I can fully jump to the M2.

10. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    When was the last time you seen a V8 in a semi? Yes my buddy pulls wedges only. I had asked him about the mini five once I saw them. And he said no way I would pull that. I asked why and he said it's too much weight and truck won't last long.

It's a good concept for a larger truck. Stick to the wedge if your looking for some longevity out of your truck.

Lite bug, Oldironfan and KnoxScrub Thank this.
  11. KnoxScrub

KnoxScrub Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2018
    I’m looking to replace my truck every two to three years due to equipment write offs (in Tennessee) so longevity isn’t necessarily a must unless I finally land in a Class 7 or 8 which is the overall goal as of now.

I have a good friend that loves his 550 and five car setup so that’s a future option as well.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.