379 door mount mirror coax replacement

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by w9l, Jun 21, 2020.

1. w9l

w9l Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Figured I might get more response here than in cb section. Wanting to install cophase through mirror arms as it was at one time on this 05 379. On passenger side the heat and motomirror wires exit the lower mirror arm and there is no room for coax. Some way they have routed the coax through the sleeve in door jam with the mirror wiring and window lift air but before it comes through inside door like everything else it turns and goes up through the front outer door frame and then through top mirror arm where it exits near end for drip loop. Any advice from someone that has done this is welcome but my main question is how do I get access to inside of front door frame and the hole in the door where wire enters mirror arm. The driver side coax just exits from lower mirror arm as it is not a motomirror and has plenty of room.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w9l

w9l Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Also, I am aware I will have to route from inside to outside and then install pl259 connectors.

4. Luwi67

Luwi67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Long island
    Do you have door mounted mirrors or cab mounted?

5. RocketScott

RocketScott Medium Load Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Kentucky
    I had to do that and can't remember exactly how I did it

Pretty sure I snaked a smaller wire through from the outside and down the door frame then taped it to the coax and pulled it up

w9l Thanks this.
  6. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    It is not an easy task. I am assuming that you would install the end after you run the wire through. I have a 2000, I think you would be able to fit it through though.

w9l Thanks this.
  7. w9l

w9l Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013
    It is an early 05 with mirrors on doors. Time being a factor I just removed the motomirror wiring bundle going into the lower arm (no motomirror on ds anyway) to make room for the coax and fished coax through that way. Wanted to cophase this truck but atleast I now have good coax and antenna on driver side. Had single on pass side but coax is shot. At least when I meet someone and talk I don't instantly have a 13'6" trailer between my antenna and theirs. May try the cophase when I have more time. Thinking I need to replace the protective plastic boot in both door jams that wires go through. Anyone tried that?

8. Luwi67

Luwi67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Long island
    I've seen them remove the hucks that hold the mirror assembly to the door and replace them with riv-nuts and button head cap screws so the mirror assembly is easily removed for future coax replacement. I have been planning to do mine that way for some time but, other things keep popping up with higher priority. One of these days.

w9l Thanks this.
  9. w9l

w9l Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013
    That is a thought. I need to pull the driver side off and sand , seal, and repaint the upper outside frame - when I have time...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.