4 way / hazard lights

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Peterman88, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    It's simple. It's illegal in most states to have hazards/ 4 ways on while vehicle is moving. Hazards are only to be used while a vehicle is completely stationary.

That means all these idiots with their 4 ways on during rain are lawbreakers... lol. That also applies to a vehicle being towed. If 4 ways are on either vehicle, its a moving violation in those states. Now whether or not is enforced is something completely different.

If it is posted to use 4 ways under a certain speed, by all means, obey those signs, otherwise, keep your slow butt in the right lane and hammer down the uphill.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Show me.....like I ask the OP

4. Peterman88

Peterman88 Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2017
    Arizona
    Wow buddy lol BTW!!! i’m an owner operator to not as long as you been . And I didn’t say it was the law and I don’t know which states require and don’t require it. But thank you soooooo much for filling me in lol.

5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I remember when I still went to the northeast that at least one state- I think Pa- had signs on some hills to use flashers below 50 mph. On the other side of the country, I had the chp get on the cb and tell me to turn off the flashers. But whether it's legal or not I don't know. But there are some situations that I would use them anyway.

Peterman88 Thanks this.
  6. Peterman88

Nov 29, 2017
    Arizona
    I completely agree , I live in Arizona Kingman and I drive interstate 40 and there’s a lot of hills and I usually find myself being the only person using my flashers when everybody’s doing 25 miles an hour going up a hill. I think using your flashers in certain situations whether it’s required or not is the right thing to do if there’s a slow lane then no I don’t see the point

7. TurtleRay

TurtleRay Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2018
    SEE IF THIS HELPS ANYONE
    Alabama: The use of hazard lights is permitted while driving unless otherwise posted.

Alaska: The use of hazard lights is not permitted while driving.

Arizona: Hazard light use is not permitted while driving except in an emergency situation.

Arkansas: Hazard light usage is not permitted while driving except to indicate a traffic hazard.

California: Hazard light use is not permitted while driving except to indicate a traffic hazard.

Connecticut: Hazard light use is permitted while driving unless otherwise posted.

Delaware: Hazard light use is not permitted while driving except to indicate a traffic hazard.

District of Columbia: Hazard light use is permitted while driving.

Florida: The use of hazard lights is not permitted while driving.

Georgia: The use of hazard lights is permitted while driving.

Hawaii: Hazard light use is not permitted while driving.

Idaho: Hazard light use is not permitted while driving except to indicate the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring unusual care in approaching, overtaking or passing.

Illinois: The use of hazard lights is not permitted while driving.

Indiana: Hazard light use is not permitted while driving except in emergency situations.

Iowa: The use of hazard lights are not permitted while driving except to indicate a traffic hazard.

Kansas: Hazard light use is not permitted while driving.

Kentucky: Hazard light use is permitted while driving.

Louisiana: Hazard light use is not permitted while driving.

Maine: Hazard light use is not permitted while driving unless to indicate a traffic hazard.

Maryland: Hazard light use is not permitted while driving except in emergency situations.

Massachusetts: Hazard light use is not permitted while driving.

Michigan: Hazard light use is permitted while driving.

Minnesota: Hazard lights are not permitted while driving except to indicate a traffic hazard.

Mississippi: Hazard light usage is permitted while driving.

Missouri: Hazard light usage is permitted while driving.

Montana: Hazard lights are not permitted while driving except to indicate a traffic hazard.

Nebraska: Hazard light use is permitted while driving.

Nevada: Hazard light usage is not permitted while driving.

New Hampshire: Hazard light use is permitted while driving.

New Jersey: The use of hazard lights is permitted while driving.

New Mexico: Hazard light use is not permitted while driving.

New York: Hazard light use is permitted while driving unless otherwise posted.

North Carolina: Hazard light use is permitted while driving unless otherwise posted.

North Dakota: Hazard light use is permitted while driving unless otherwise posted.

Ohio: Hazard light use is not permitted while driving except when a hazardous condition is present.

Oklahoma: Hazard light use is not permitted while driving except in emergency situations and to indicate a traffic hazard.

Oregon: Hazard light use is permitted while driving unless otherwise posted.

Pennsylvania: Hazard light use is permitted while driving.

Rhode Island: Hazard light use is not permitted while driving.

South Carolina: Hazard lights may be used while driving for the purpose of warning the operators of other vehicles of the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring the exercise of unusual care in approaching, overtaking or passing.

South Dakota: Hazard light use is permitted while driving.

Tennessee: Hazard light use is not permitted while driving except in emergency situations.

Texas: Hazard light use is permitted while driving.

Utah: Hazard light use is permitted while driving.

Vermont: Hazard light use is permitted while driving.

Virginia: Hazard light use is not permitted while driving except for emergency vehicles, stopped or slowed vehicles to indicate a traffic hazard, when traveling as part of a funeral procession, or traveling slower than 30 mph.

Washington: Hazard light use is not permitted while driving except to indicate a traffic hazard.

West Virginia: Hazard lights are not permitted while driving except in emergency situations.

Wisconsin: Hazard lights are not permitted while driving except to indicate a traffic hazard or when a hazardous condition is present.

Wyoming: Hazard light use is permitted while driving.

Bill51, hagarcobra, Watchman63 and 9 others Thank this.
  8. Peterman88

Nov 29, 2017
    Arizona
    There we go!!! Looks like I’m breaking the law lol

9. mem

mem Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Some of these folks can't be bothered putting on the four ways when backing up.

If I fall below 45mph on an interstate I generally run the four ways (or if there is a posted sign to do so at a higher speed).

I don't think it's really a big deal in any event, if you can't tell a six story building rolling down the highway is going slow you probably shouldn't be driving.

10. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    This absolutely correct...... winner winner chicken dinner.

bottomdumpin and AModelCat Thank this.
  11. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I thought driving with hazard lights on was reserved for the guy driving like crazy with a pregnant wife about to explode!!!!

blairandgretchen and Lonesome Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.