4 way / hazard lights

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Peterman88, Feb 9, 2018.

1. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    This topic got brought up before and I was basically told that I’m a sissy if I use 4-ways. So now I don’t. :)

Buster Churry, snowwy and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I cannot stand those who drive with the four ways on when it snows. Like, seriously, if it's snowing, I'd like to think everyone would know. The only time I use them is when I driving up to slow traffic, a snow squall, going up hills, or backing up.

4. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I throw them on when I turn on a freeway from a dead stop and traffic is doing 80 up until I’m at like 50.

I put them on on hills when I’m going 45 if people are behind me if not I don’t.

If you use them in the snow you are a clown. We saw your big ### truck, you don’t need your 4 ways on.

DieselDrivinDaddy Thanks this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I hardly ever use them while moving. If I'm driving at night and there's a hazard like a car parked on the shoulder, deer, hitch hiker etc I'll flash them half a dozen times so the guy behind me hopefully takes notice. Or if someone lets me in traffic or a slower vehicle gives me passing room I'll flash the 4 ways a few times as a thank you.

tinytim and IluvCATS Thank this.
  6. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Oh yeah. I use them for “watch out” moments too.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I use my hazards instead of flashing the lights when there's a hazard on the road.

Can't see flashing lights in the daytime.

8. LilBudyWizer

LilBudyWizer Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Maybe it just seems pointless to them. After a few hundred times hitting the top of that hill and pulling into the travel lane at 20 mph to the surprise and angst of that passenger car doing 80 mph in that lane despite the hazard lights and 20 signs saying that lane ends they feel it's pointless.

9. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    If I stop on the shoulder I'll use them till I get the cones out (yes I carry cones not triangles that get blown over but the next truck).

Here in CA's central valley we have tule fog, main reason CA does not want you to use 4ways om moving vehicles, in the fog other drivers are looking for lights as clues of where did the road go.

I find drivers using them doing 50 or 55, really annoying.

Oxbow, Diesel Dave and AModelCat Thank this.
  10. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    One problem with using hazard lights when you're moving: No one knows what your next move is. Are you continuing on your way? Moving to the side? Stopping? Turning?
    That part is annoying to me.

Oxbow, Diesel Dave and rbrtwbstr Thank this.
  11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Then say you have a light out up front. Another vehicle thinks "Oh he's turning" and then pulls into your path.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.