4-Wheeler Mistakes

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by DocConrad, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    I posted this before but I will post it again for you.. Somebody said something about SUV being unsafe and this was my responce...

Here I wrote this awile back ( a very forward post, was tired and in a bad mood :biggrin_25519:)

Quote:
    Nothing new here, its been made known that Suvs are pretty unsafe for awhile now.
    All the way back when Firestone tires where blowing out on the fords causing roll overs. So much reporting has been done with Consumer crash test results indicating poor results. So whats the point here? Unless you live on the moon this should be pretty much common knowledge.

1.THE REAL PROBLEM
    They give false feeling of protection, size alone makes people feel safer. this is why you see ignorant SUV drivers flying down the road in bad weather conditions. Truth is they are as easy to loose control of but harder to regain control.

Bottom line.. So what!!! buy what you want, if you can afford it then buy it.
    But learn to drive..... driving is more then just putting your foot on the gas and break

Here let me point out what people nowadays have no clue or just don't do because they are to #### lazy to do it. Driving IS A LIFE AND DEATH MATTER!!! understand that people... for some reason people jump into their cars thinking they are invisible.

(I apologise for grammar and spelling before hand, I've been up for 28+ hours and I'm just going to rush threw this)

1. Merging
    When getting onto the Interstate turn your #### head soon as you hit the ramp and GO, start looking at the traffic then as your coming down the ramp(no, not looking threw your mirror but actually turn your head) if you get at the bottom of the ramp and you are not doing the speed limit YOU ARE WRNG, If you hit the bottom of the ramp and you are next to somebody and expect them to move over to let you in YOU ARE WRONG. Adjust your speed faster or slower to merge in front of or behind.... get it???????
    Now for Christ sakes people don't expect a semi to get over for you, you may think it is easy for those guys to get over but its not, they can't see everywhere next to them and actually takes a FULL 10 SEC FOR A SEMI TO CHAGE LANES SAFLY!!!!

2.Speeding
    My opinion is "speed does not kill, ignorance does" if people actually followed rules of the road and used common sense 85Mph or more would be safe on some sections of the Interstate. Rules for speeding... don't tell gate. never pass on the right and never in heavy traffic.

3. Get the heckl out of the way,
    Pay attention what you are doing not just in front of you but all around you. if your in the left lane and somebody comes up behind you then get the heckl out of the way "soon as possible and let them go on by"

Simple rules here
    right lane (speed limit or less)
    Left lane (you need to be going just as fast or move to the right lane)

3 lanes or more
    right lane (speed limit or less)
    middle lane (you have to be going faster then the speed limit in this lane or move over to right lane, Keep in mind this is the tractor trailer fast lane due to the fact they are not allowed in the 3rd lane SO MOVE OVER)
    left lane (you need to be moving faster then the other lanes and if anybody comes up behind you MOVE TO THE RIGHT)

4.Snow or slick conditions
    this is for you non drivers and soccer moms or people lacking common sense.
    I see this so often, passing in bad weather condition... sure its fine to do it but use your head about it. You do not pass in corners.. You hear me????? you don't do it... pass on strait aways AND MERGE BACK ON A STRAIT AWAY...
    again "DO NOT PASS IN A CORNER"
    if you can't see the point in that then please park your car and never drive again.

Another thing that will help you soccer moms and poor drivers.
    Going over a bridge in icy or slick condition, let off the gas going over a bridge then once over easily get back on the excellerator.

NEVER HIT THE BRAKES IN ANY SLIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! worse thing you can ever do.. Burn that into your heads.

things i suggest is find a nice open parking lot and go slide around a little and try to regain control, do this every year first snow or ice to freshen skills.

Turn your headlights on in any and all slick conditions.. (that includes raining and foggy out)

5.Cell Phones.
    Sure ya ya you should not use them period, but if you do then GET INTO THE RIGHT LANE AND STAY...(that's not the middle lane if it 3 or more lanes, THE FAR RIGHT) anybody who doesnt follow that rule should be smacked the next time they stop...

6. Head lights
    USE THEM IDIOTS!!!! don't care if its sun up. every morning you should use your headlights on your way to work and on your way home from work... ITS RUSH HOUR

And for you people who think you look cool using you fog lights. your an idiot.
    Fog lights are yellow for one. They are called "Running lights" and are not for driving down the road with under normal conditions. Here let me explain to you what they are for since nobody has a freaking clue. THEY ARE FOR RAIN, they help prevent glare during rain.. UNDERSTAND? So turn them off unless its raining.
    And my Gosh! 75% of the idiots who use these lights also go out and buy illegal off road use bulbs... The law is "you can only use the wattage that the manufacture of the vehicle used" now that about 35watts NOT 50-75-100-150 WATTS.. Idiots they are for off road use ..

Do it yourselfers. If your an idiot who adjusted the headlight out of alignment during installation of a new one, then get your lazy butt back out there and pull the car up to a wall somewhere and adjust the headlight back to match the other one.

NO DRIVING ON THE INTERSTATE WITH BRIGHT LIGHTS ON<<<<<<<<<<<< if you can't see driving down the Interstate at night with you low beams on with all the lines painted and reflectors, YOU SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING AT NIGHT..

People you need to understand that you are a hazard when you have unnecessary lights, out of alignment lights or bright lights on.. People who may have been on the road for awhile may seriously be effected by your lights and can cause someone to DIE by flash blinding them and they swerve or hit something.. UNDERSTAND?

6.Rushers (Idiots)
    Now there is a difference between speeding and rushers. doing 80mph is speeding where flying up and cutting over 3 lanes to get off the next exit at the last moment is rushing and stupid. Complete morons here and again these people need slapped around. Listen, You may save 2-3 seconds by doing such ignorant maneuvers but dramatically increase your chance in killing yourself, that I have no problem with cause your a moron, the problem I have with idiots like you is the kid or kids you may kill in doing such a ignorant thing.

Don't cut in front of a truck when you can easily get behind them to get off at the next exit.

7. Traffic Jams.
    People pick a #### lane and stay in it.. trust me I have been in so many traffic jams and there is no advantage in jumping lane to lane. STAY IN ONE LANE. and i know you know exactly what I mean because I always will see you again later at the in another lane as the lane I "stayed in" starts moving and you can't cut somebody off, Or I see you at the top of the ramp a few exits down. DON"T CUT IN FRONT OF A TRACTOR TRIALER..... you have no ideal what it takes to stop one of those.. that's why they leave an open space in front of them and your ignorant ### just thinks you can jump in front of them. DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT THAT TRUCK CAN DO TO YOU CAR?

[​IMG]
    http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5785/truckcrash2js.jpg

[​IMG]

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/9428/sandwichtruck2nr.jpg

Okay for you people who do not understand a #### thing about tractor trailers.
    GIVE THEM BREAK..
    1.First of all do not hang out in the No Zone, do not know what that is? Click on link and learn......
    http://www.sharetheroadsafely.org/noZone/noZone.asp

perfect example of somebody being in the no zone
    [​IMG]
    http://images5.theimagehosting.com/BMW_wreck.jpg
    2. As mentioned do not expect him to get over for you in order for you to merge onto the Interstate. If you merged ended up next to him at the bottom of the ram you merged wrong and did not turn your head in order to adjust speed to get in front or behind them. YOUR FUALT NOT THIERS.. (remember it takes 10 sec to safely change lanes in a big truck)
    something I will add here is, trucks usually drive in the middle lane directly due to this fact.. understand? they use the middle lane because people do not know how to merge.. So it is safer for them to stay in the middle lane. unfortunately the downfall of this is traffic is usually slowed down a great deal do to slow trucks.
    3. Slow trucks
    Okay 99% of you have no ideal that most tractor trailers are governed, 75% are governed........
    typical governed speeds
    65 allot of trucks only can run this speed, THATS IT...63-65mph
    70 The company drivers who usually been driving for a long time usually get the 68-70 mph trucks..
    a few companies will allow to go faster but very FEW

Now owner operators (non company/means they own their own truck)usually can run
    70+ but most trucks can't pass 80mph... but yes about 5% or less can run over 80mph

Point here? understand that guy can't go any faster so get off his ###...

4.Understand
    You may drive 20-50 miles to work and only have 1 set time everyday to be at work.
    Truck drivers drive 400-750 miles a day, and could have 5 appointment times a day.
    He has only so many hours he can drive a day by law to get those miles in.
    And just as any other company performance/productivity is important. Give them a break, If you see a truck coming up behind you get over and let them by, If you see a truck trying to pass and has his turn signal on let them out.
    Remember every time a driver is late they are charged, thus making freight charges going up all together, ultimately this charge is passed on to the consumer. So you are actually doing yourself a favor as well.

Their Job is not as easy as one may think, I'm sure you may think they only hold a steering wheel but there is way more to it then just that. They do it for 11 hours a day and have to be constantly alert for ignorant drivers doing stupid things.. have you ever drove 700 miles? remember how wore out you was? sure your body get used to it but that does not mean it is not stressful and mind wearing. This is why there are so many laws for truck drivers and how much they can work.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ccraft03

ccraft03 Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2008
    McConnells, SC
    That's one thing the Germans nailed on the head was their driving rules and the enforcement of them. I've been living here in Germany for 7 years now & nothing boils my blood more than going back stateside & having to deal with the drivers there. US should enforce like Germany does on the Autobahns & it would make things a whole lot better.

Driving over here is a privilege and people appreciate that. It's not as simple as going down to the DMV on your 15/16 birthday & taking a pretty simple test then let mom or dad "teach" you how they drive (like the Mercedes Benz Wagon driver - the WRONG WAY) then going back to the DMV & taking a 10 minute "driving" test and your good to go. Germans are required to take a 2 week driving school that costs them the equivalent of about $3000 in order to get their license. If you want any endorsements on it, motorcycle, towing a small trailer, manual transmission...you have to go even longer & pay for that too. They take driving here a lot more serious than in the US and it shows.

4. simpsonteam

simpsonteam Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2007
    colville, wa
    It is frustrating to no end for drivers that legislators think regulating us into the ditch will solve all of their problems.

Please read the following about Missouri's "solutions" for the big bad rigs on their highways, with special attention to the last paragraph!:

Missouri
    Rep. Gracia Backer’s proposal (HB 444) calls for truckers (operating trucks with a GVW of 54,000 pounds or more) caught doing in excess of 75 mph in 70 mph zone to be fined $1,000. Those drivers would also be guilty of a Class A misdemeanor, which can carry an additional penalty of up to one year in jail. The good news is this bill is still stuck in committee.

The bad news is another measure passed the Missouri House on Feb. 17. HB 338 (sponsored by Rep. Don Koller) calls for truckers to be fined $100 for every mile in excess of 75 mph in a 70 mph zone, without the addition of the Class A misdemeanor penalty.

However, any trucker caught doing less than 70 mph in the left lane of a highway with a posted speed of 70 mph could be convicted of a Class A misdemeanor, which carries a fine of up to $1,000 and as much as one year in jail.
    Missouri truckers, your lawmakers need to hear from you now. Missouri legislative information numbers are (general information) 573-751-3824, (Senate) 573-751-3766, and (House) 573-751-3659.

5. footz

footz Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2008
    way behind you
    I keep telling people, it's not the speed, it's the proximity. (No,
    not the guy who posts here!) Vehicles, small and large, just too
    bloody close to each other particularly to the front and rear.
    Leaving more space would make all those merges and exits a lot
    easier, too.

There are some great animations at the amateur scientist site
    showing some of the dynamics of this, and could easily be updated
    to prove the point for a mix of rigs and 4-wheelers. Good reading.

I can also offer that over on the fuel-economy forums where I
    spend a lot of time, we do NOT condone drafting of any sort,
    period, other than the distant air effects a car might receive when
    back at a safe following distance. Occasionally a newbie hops in
    there and asks about drafting, and immediately gets smacked down.
    I know I've dodged a couple of fresh 'gators in my time, with no
    worries because I had PLENTY of time to see 'em flopping off the
    trailer and coming to rest. A tiny steering correction, sail
    gracefully around it, and right back to normal.

-f

6. Lugnut1968

Lugnut1968 Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Newnan Ga
    With all the hoops the put us through to get CDL's they need to put the 4-wheelers through a couple of hoops. They outta make them watch those Mythbusters (Discovery Channel) episodes on exploding truck tires and drafting a truck before they are able to get them permits. :biggrin_255:

7. PTX

PTX "Electronically Involved"

Jan 29, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Wow. Beware of the hammer lane in a traffic jam, sounds like they won't bother to take into consideration the traffic flow... I.E. if traffic is flowing 35 and you're doing 35 and you're in the hammer lane, get ready for fines and jail time!

That sucks... I still cannot comprehend why the states want to punish the PROFESSIONALS but let anyone with half a brain cell behind the wheel of something much smaller.

8. 18wheeldumptrucker

18wheeldumptrucker "Buckeye Bucket"

Apr 1, 2008
    Sullivan, Ohio
    I told my wife and mother(who both worry a great deal about me) that I hear far to many stories about good truckers who have been killed by trying to avoid the other guy. Although I will not purposely take someone out, I will not be responsible for there mistake. I don't swerve.

9. truckermario

truckermario Road Train Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I just witnessed another stupid mistake not too long ago. Using the merging lane to pass a slow poke that I'm passing at the same time in the hammer lane.

10. KnightRider

KnightRider Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2007
    About 2yrs ago I was coming into Charlotte, NC and I was trying to get in the right hand lane so I could get on I-485 and I checked my right mirror and saw it was clear so i signaled and started my merge, I get half way into the right lane and all the sudden this pick-up truck came flying up on my right and started blarring his horn and he cursed me up one side and down the other and flipping me off, I didn't do anything I was stunned and pissed cause the idiot flew up on my blind side. And since that day I started using that little window on the bottom of the right door and making sure it was absolutly clear before I merged. Most 4-wheelers mistakes come from being in a hurry or talking on the cell phone or not even knowing the rules of the road or just being plain rude like what happened to me and it's frustrating I know.

11. Wolfpak

Wolfpak Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Brisbane, QLD, Australia
    Yes, we all see incredibly stupid behaviour on the road from car drivers who have no idea what it takes to get a truck around, and therefore just don't leave you the necessary space to do it. I have a name for this behaviour too. I call it 'Only Driver On The Road' syndrome, because that's exactly how most of them behave. Most of the time they aren't even aware that there is other traffic around them, or what effect they are having on the other vehicles around them. It's like how they put 'blinders' on a racehorse to make it run straight. Most people out there drive exactly like they have those on!
    I used to get very :biggrin_25510: with these drivers, but now I just chuckle to myself and tell myself that it isn't really their fault, you see. It's just that they can't see where they are going, because their head is up their a.... oops, not allowed to say those words on here, are we? hehehehe

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.