45-50mph vibration

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by vadim2200, May 14, 2012.

1. vadim2200

vadim2200 Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Got T2000 KW, and i have problem, 40-55 i have bad steering wheel vibration, and the hood shakes too. Doesn't matter if truck is in acceleration or in neutral always 45-50
    What i checked or did:

1. Balanced tires, (didn't help, same)
    2. Swapped front tires from my friends truck (nothing, still same)
    3. No drive shaft balancers are missing
    4. U-Joint has no play
    5. Yoke has no play.
    6. Raised truck and tried to see if any play on tires (none), king pins seem fine
    7. Steering column has no play with steering box
    8. Shocks not leaking (since vibration 45-50 it can't be them)
    9. Leveling valve is fine, not to high not too low, height is 13'5" (tried lowering and raising but didn't help)
    10. Drive tires are fine no unusual wear.
    11. Steer tires got inside wear, (like alignment)
    12. The front linkage seems nice and tight.
    13. Front U-bolts also nice and tight
    HELP PLEASE!

The vibration seems to come from the front, since the steering wheel is shaking left to right and front tires got wear.

Can it be alignment? What else can i check?
    Please help!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Jack up the front end and spin the tires as fast as you can and watch to see if the tire is running up and down too, or out of round. You may have a wheel that isn't properly centered on the hub and spinning slightly off center, this would explain why swapping with your friends tires didn't help, his rims are off centered on your hub too.

4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Alignments will not fix shimmy's or wobbles or shakes, that is something out of balance or out of round.

5. country29

country29 Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Arkansas
    +1 what the above guys said. something is out of round or out of balance, a wheel not centered on the hub or tires out of round.

6. Winkjr

Winkjr Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Marlton NJ
    I recently had this problem on my freightliner it was a bent rim

Gibraltar Thanks this.
  7. vadim2200

Nov 21, 2010
    so how would i go about fixing this, centering wheel on the hub?

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  8. vadim2200

Nov 21, 2010
    But i did balance on the tires, wouldn't it level out the bent rim?
    Also when i did the balance one tire was 4 oz off and the other was 10oz off, when i swapped tire from my friend truck i actually only swapped the one that had bad balance, and it didn't fix nothing. Ill try swapping the other one.

9. snikle

snikle Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2009
    MICHIGAN
    I had a vibration in my fld it turned out to be the front shackle pins were seizing up replaced the shackle pins and bushings with easy rider roller pin bushings man the ride improved and no more front vibration's. when you pull your shackle pins look them over for flat spots and rust. hope this helps.

10. Rig Wrench

Rig Wrench Medium Load Member

Dec 24, 2010
    northeast
    I have seen out of balance driveshafts do this, at this speed, over time the shafts will distort ever slightly and just need to be rebalanced. just a shot in the dark, has helped me out a couple times with heavy haulers with higher (over 500k) mileage

Matt1924 Thanks this.
  11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    It depends how the steering wheel is shaking, usually if the steering wheel is rapidly turning slightly left, right, left right, and so on the problem is most likely with the steer wheels. Something like the drive shaft out of balance can cause a shake in the wheel and most certainly the hood too, but the shake felt in the steering isn't really a side to side shimmy. Tires spin about 4 times slower than a driveshaft so tire problems are usually felt as a shimmy or shake, drive shaft issues can be felt more like a buzz or fast vibration. It is hard to express these sensations on forums like this.

tirexpress Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.