5 confirmed deceased

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Gatordude, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Slowpoke KW

Slowpoke KW Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2015
    OK
    Accidents like this have been happening ever since vehicles were invented.

In 2002 I went to work as a mechanic for a fleet, on the yard was a wrecked truck the front end destroyed, that first day I had to pull the ecm off of it so it could be downloaded since they were being sued by the family of the deceased. The driver of the truck with 20 plus years experience was running team with his wife who was sleeping at the time.

On a Sunday afternoon on I44 between Tulsa and Joplin 2 cars (family traveling together) were parked on the shoulder he tried to get in the left lane but nobody would let their 67mph truck over. As he approached the cars the lead vehicle driven by grandma with a grandkid pulled straight into the right lane. He slammed on the brakes and was down to 50mph when he hit them according to the ecm. The family tried saying that the truck was speeding.

3 months later he got back in a truck then quit on that first run. 4 years later she was still there then when driving on a two lane US highway speed limit 65mph a lady ran a stop sign in front of her, she too attempted to keep driving but turned around shortly after leaving the yard when a car cut her off to take an exit.

Just because a truck is involved doesn’t mean that it’s their fault or that they could have done anything to prevent it. There’s more cars on the road than trucks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Man that's unfortunate to read. I feel for those that lost their lives.

lovesthedrive and Snailexpress Thank this.
  4. azheavyduty

azheavyduty Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    Or Las Vegas companies pulling Amazon trailers.

5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    The four wheelers are quick to demonize big trucks. I'd say at least 75% of the time when I'm coming up on someone on the shoulder, there's a four wheeler that simply has to overtake me, usually slowly, so I can't even move over.

6. Slowpoke KW

Slowpoke KW Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2015
    OK
    I’ve had some of them that had been following me for miles jump in the left lane and try to pass after I put my turn signal on. Or when it’s a cop on the shoulder the car that just passed me slams on the brakes to hide beside me even though the officer is clearly out of his car and talking with the one he pulled over.

7. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    doesn't matter. the insurance companies, the feds, anyone, will make sure that the trucking industry gets more and more electronic (read EXPENSIVE) mammy devices. where as i have always advocated LONGER driver training and deep back ground checks, and even IQ testing for wannabe truckers.

glad i got out when i did, and i cannot say i even feel sorry for those just getting into the industry, as a whole, this was brought on by us.

JoeyJunk, NavigatorWife, 201 and 4 others Thank this.
  8. Milr72

Milr72 Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    S W Missouri
    You can have all the new gizmos in a truck but still won't help when someone decides to check their phone or watch a video instead of paying attention to the road. And it's not just the newbies.

9. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    then mandatory in cab cameras.

caught on camera doing something you ain't supposed to be doing?

fired, and banned from CDL driving ever again, if one is involved in even the slightest paint scraping incident.

done deal

10. Milr72

Milr72 Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    S W Missouri
    Yesterday I couldn't even spell truck driver and today I are one!
    Longer training by "qualified" trainers, not someone who does it just for the extra money and miles.

11. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    oh absolutely.

at one time, the "bigger companies", like Werner, HAD a mandatory 5 year experience level to even become a trainer, but then too, Werner had a mandatory 3 years experience to even get a job there in the first place.

i know, when i gradumacted from wagon train training school, i could not get on with Werner.

now, they haul them off the streets with nary an edumacashun.......

and no today you are not a trucker....but you IS one..........

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.