5 months in, need a new company.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by travelsizegirl, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I always, at the very minimum, checked the reefer engine oil. Many times I found low oil levels. One mechanic in the shop said for me to stop doing that because he checks it when the trailer comes in for scheduled maintenance. Plain stupid to say something like that.
    I carried a couple quarts in the truck in case the reefer engine needed it. What about frayed belts?

SingingWolf and Lonesome Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I've had low engine oil, leaking compressor oil, loose battery brackets and loose belts. When you consider that some reefer loads can exceed $500k in value, it would be crazy to accept a load with a reefer unit that isn't in fully functioning order.

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Six, I thought this was realistic and useful - more than some others.

I don't get why five months and they expect something better, I would say stick it out or move into something else within the company. Five months shows me that you are not willing to put up with the BS no matter where it comes from.

Captain Dave, you don't get quality people this way.

Lonesome and TripleSix Thank this.
  5. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    They feed the BS because they get away with it. Don't let them.
    Should have walked out the door the first day.

Aamcotrans and travelsizegirl Thank this.
  6. travelsizegirl

travelsizegirl Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2017
    You are correct. I will not put up with BS no matter where it comes from. If you do, well, that's your business, but I think it's sad. I'm an intelligent woman with serious goals and a drive and work ethic to meet them. My teammate, though young, is probably the hardest worker I've ever met, with a great attitude and not a complaint to be heard. Of the two of us, I'm the lazy one, and I'm not at all a lazy person. Someone will see our value and treat us with some dignity, and I'll keep looking until I find that person or company. Lucky for me, I don't actually HAVE to work to survive. My husband is a plumber and makes good money. I'm working to set up our retirement. I have zero interest in making myself miserable for any length of time by staying where I am not happy. And anyone who has a negative opinion of that can kick rocks. I don't really need anyone's approval.

All that said, I have a lot of research to do and phone calls to make. Thank you all for the suggestions and please keep them coming if there are more. @CaptainDaveG, you should get an email from me shortly. :)

7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I'm goal oriented. When I have a job to do, I also have a plan. And it takes an incredible 'act of God' to get me to change my plan. Over the years, I've run into dispatcher, travel agents, planners, shippers, brokers...etc, who try to push buttons and get under my skin. I don't have buttons. And they are not God.

There was no mention of money in the original post. Opie must be satisfied with the money. There was no mention about the truck. Opie must be satisfied with the truck. Opie wants to quit because her travel agent can push her buttons. Odds of her running into that again are real good. But how can you ever reach the top of your game when it's so easy for others to take you out of the game?

"I am woman. I am woman! I AM woman! I AM WOMAN!!!"

Great, she's playing the female card. That should shake up the bootysniffers and horndogs. It's funny, every time you say something that she doesn't want to hear, she reminds you that she's a woman. I don't care...I'm not a horndogs or a bootysniffer. That would be like a black person telling you that they were black in every other sentence. I don't care, bro...I don't want in your pants either. Focus on the goal you set forth when you started. Don't be so easily defeated.

"But Six, it's a Woman! W. O.M.A.N. Woman! Don't you get it?"

Actually, I don't. Women say that they want to be treated with equality, but when you do that, they play the woman card. I'm doing my best to stay out of the threads started by sidewalk sissies and fearmongers. I will remember to stay out of threads started by anyone who wants me to know their a woman, be it a woman or transvestite.

And Mr @Ridgeline, I'm back quiet.

pushbroom, Tb0n3, Oxbow and 7 others Thank this.
  8. plentygood

plentygood Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    USA / CANADA
    I just wanted to chime in and wish you the best. The Industry needs more people like you and its a shame that so many times good people fall victim to the "puppy mills" of the trucking industry.

SingingWolf and travelsizegirl Thank this.
  9. travelsizegirl

travelsizegirl Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Thanks very much, that's nice of you to say. I'm not sure who pissed in that Six guy's wheaties, but offering unsolicited, uninformed advice in the first place was already rude of him, and since I had the nerve to dismiss those valuable gems of wisdom, he seems to have made it his life's mission to insult me. How sad. Keyboard bullies are a strange and angry bunch. Part of why I'm not that fond of internet forums. Who needs the negativity? But I'm encouraged that so far he seems to be the only one and everyone else is extremely helpful and polite.

10. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    He's made it his life's mission to insult everybody. Join the crowd.
    I wish you the best. I don't care if you're multiple genders.
    You and your partner can make a killing in trucking. Maybe a little more experience? Things like Hot Shot... Where the load needs to get there as quickly as possible. Look into it. Look into everything. Look into becoming O/O's. Teams can rule in this industry.

11. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    gee, I'm sorry, but it was solicited advice. You came on a public forum, asking for advice. And Six gave it. Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but advice anyway, from his perspective.
    Uninformed advice? Perhaps, from your view, it is. Maybe it is from what others see. But it still is the way he see's it. And you may take it, or dismiss it, as you see fit.
    And no, I have no dog in this fight. I don't know Six from Adam, or Eve. Just as I don't know you.

Tb0n3, TB John, TripleSix and 6 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.