50% Random Drug Testing Rate Information

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by MidwestGator, Jan 27, 2020.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I used to drink. with the then new drug tests for alcohol I allowed 4 hours per shot consumed. That was my standard. 6 shots was plenty. Call it 24 hours after. I'll be cleared out before then. But I don't touch a semi or be near a employer until at least 24 hours 30 is better.

If I got into and did sometimes bad situations when drinking too much for whatever reason, hellraising and so on, I'll tell the boss find another driver to run that week. Im done. Its that simple.

That was how i protected myself in those days. Today when I was a medical pain patient in the world of pills vs driving a simple car that can cause a DUI if the drug is present in the system introduces a whole another matrix. Essentially one dose = 4 days no meds before driving. Even though I only need 30 hours to burn that dose off including finishing withdrawal.

I keep a driver in those days 24/7 as well as a second spare vehicle. And if something came up that I needed to drive I required 5 days notice. My calander is filled three months ahead pertaining to driving duties. So no worries there.

The only drug tests I go through is with the doctor and most of it is to check my organs. Ive had a rough time these last 18 months, they are looking at the thyroid this month as it came up short in a blood test. SO we will be working on that this year.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    While driving? Never. At work? sometimes. I have a shop behind my house where I work on all of our equipment. Earlier this month I spent a week welding on some heavy equipment. I wasn't drunk by any means but I had a couple beers while out there welding. I have a refrigerator in the shop and it has beer in it. A 30 pack usually lasts 3 months. Not boozing it up by any means just a beer here and there while working in the shop. The drinking and driving thing freaks me out. I won't have any alcohol past 7PM if I know I will be driving the next day.

4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Dunno what to tell you. Play by the rules, never have to worry about it.

In 15 years I've never had a random unless I'd been on duty driving.

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    It is definitely a regulation that is designed for company drivers, with o/o's shoehorned in.

6. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    A random alcohol test should be given when a person is starting, during or just after being on duty and performing safety sensitive work. A person should not have imbibed in an alcoholic beverage within 8 hours of going on duty.
    You would/should not be called in to take a test while you are off duty and not expected to be on duty for the next 8 hours. A normal person would not fail the test if they had last drunk a beverage 8 hours ago.

7. RogueDog

RogueDog Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2020
    Is that suppose to happen?

8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Some of the megas have asked the feds to require it but is not in the pipeline at the moment. Too much uncertainty about the accuracy of these tests.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.