54k coil.....

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Mattflat362, Mar 29, 2023.

1. High Stepper

High Stepper Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2022
    Square One
    They are built Ford tough. This was a mistake I made not checking to see if the truck had double frame rails. Loaded a 48k coil and headed out.

I admit I wasn't paying attention and was changing stations from some climate change nonsense and had to panic stop. The rockback of the coil ended up breakjng the frame behind the cab.
    Screenshot_20230402-154032_Photos.jpg
    I was still able to unload the coil, but I didn't need the EZ ramp. And I paid 29.95 round trip, the extra insurance covered the damages. I might buy it back from Uhaul and stretch the wheelbase if the price is right.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    I've hauled my share of cheap freight so don't take this wrong. Here's how I look at deals like this. Pretend your an o/o leased to a company that pays you a percentage of the gross. 80 percent or so. Would you still be happy if they booked this load and sent you to do it? Plus not too many guys can pull 54 without a permit or a specialized trailer. And thats definitely too cheap for either of those cases. That's just me though.

jamespmack, D.Tibbitt and Ruthless Thank this.
  4. HoundDog7

HoundDog7 Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2022
    Kansas
    You haven't seen the factory linesheet or specs on the U-Haul $29.99 box trucks have you?

5. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    Why are you creating this hypothetical situation? Is it to just be critical because you can’t accept a positive?

The original post wasn’t an 80% of gross, broker deal.

If an O/O is offered the load from the company they’re leased to, they simply refuse it.

54K pound coils can easily be hauled on a quality aluminum trailer, with coil package. I used to do it with an East, on a regular basis. I put a 58K pounder on it, once, with permit.

Many outfits can haul a 54K, without a permit. I’m guessing, you’re not very familiar with coil hauling.

6. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    I guess not. only did it for 20 years or so. I'll stand by my statement that not that many standard highway trucks with a conventional 48x102 trailer can haul 54000lb coil without being over 80000. And as soon as you have specialized equipment or need a permit then you should try to get a premium rate. Try being the key word. And IMO you should always allow a percentage of the load for your office overhead however small that is. But that's just me. You live like you want to live.

7. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    I used to legally scale 53,500, with an FLD112 and 45’ East with steel wheels. Nothing specialized about it.

Now, you’re throwing in office staff. Where’s that even mentioned?

Good grief, dude! Please stop trying to stir something that isn’t there.

Chieftains and cke Thank this.
  8. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

500 a load for 54k-

Theres a lot of ways to make money with a truck. What you’re suggesting in this thread doesn't sound like a good way for or to a lot of people based on the feedback people are giving.
    If it works for you, then keep doing it? Don’t be out here trying to sell someone else your bread and butter.

I do about anything if the money is there. You don’t have to worry about me taking your work from you.

Elroythekid, cke, Nostalgic and 3 others Thank this.
  9. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Post 1 picture or jb hauling coil please?

cke and jamespmack Thank this.
  10. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I don't know about JB but there's Penske day cabs with east trailers hauling them all day on I-80/90. I wondered for a while what they were with man doors on the side of what looked like a dump trailer, but it's coils inside. Open tarped roof and I guess bulkheaded sections for coils.

cke and jamespmack Thank this.
  11. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I'm talking jb post pictures please

cke Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.