55 New Speed Limit For May

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by OregonJoe, Jan 23, 2013.

1. OregonJoe

OregonJoe Light Load Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Portland Oregon
    Just got feedback on the teletype May is enforcing a 55 mpg speed limit in Oregon and 60 in all other states or face consequences? Whats the deal anyone got feedback?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blue02celi

Blue02celi Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    jokers already experienced the warning on qualcomm, i heard other people in the lounge saying its a chip or something that they are putting in that give it the new function or something? i dunno, dont have to worry about it anymore

Joker85 Thanks this.
  4. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    I was talking to a May driver the other day...he said 55 in CA and 57-58 in OR....

evidently there is a speed sensor in the quallcomm (or whatever system you use) that sends actual and not delayed info with alerts to safety and driver managers.

5. pokerhound67

pokerhound67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 30, 2012
    well thats more than a bit ridiculous. guess they are right up there now with england and crst on my "avoid at all costs" list.

Bram Thanks this.
  6. RAGE 18

RAGE 18 Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2011
    GOLD£N☆STAT£
    Nice...I bet if you go over 1 or 2 miles u get written up then fired then it goes on your DAC. Unsafe driver bla bla bla is May's safety record that bad?

7. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    May doesn't care anything about what people think or perceive of them, especially in forums like these. There are folks in management who read here. They've got new guys beating down their doors to get in.

8. Russjac

Russjac Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Las Vegas
    May wants you to go the speed limit, which is 55, in Ca and OR, and 59-60 everywhere else. They are doing it cause they think they are going to save millions
    in fuel costs if everyone gets on board. I don't drive much in CA or OR, so I don't know if they jump on you about your speed, and the governor on the trucks makes the speed limit a moot point in other states.
    Kermit claims that they are putting super detailed tattlers in all the trucks. He was showing us the data from one of the test trucks. It can show exactly where you were, the elevation and grade, what gear you were in, speed, ect for pretty much any point on your run. So if you say I was blowing fuel because
    of hills, for example, they can pull up the data from where you were on the hills, and critique your driving for that point, or say NO you are blowing fuel on the flats.
    I think in the long run, even if they save money on fuel, they are going to be screwing up their trucks and making their turnover even higher, but then again I don't think they really care as long as they can put the repairs on warranty, and get federal incentives to keep the revolving door at the hiring office going.

Me, personally, I'm already sick of being a moving roadblock everywhere I go, and will be looking to get out as soon as I finish my first year. Which I believe more each day is what they really want their drivers to do with this company.

9. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    Another company not worth the powder

10. Blue02celi

Blue02celi Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    same thing i did, i knew i would be staying for the first year just to see how it worked out and not run at the first issue. I never really had any MAJOR issues here, it served its purpose, got my experience. My main reason for leaving is I want to get back to the east coast, and may cant do that. but yeah lately things have definitely been going from survivable to just bad so guess its a good thing I'm on my way out.

a friend of mine who i went to CDL school with in denver keeps in contact with the director of the school, joker knows who im talking about lol. anyway, the school we went to was like totally pro may, said they were a good company and they would have like 1 student a week go to may after getting their CDL (class sized were only like 4-8 per week) I'm not sure what changed, but from what I heard they told him recently that May wasn't worth it. Wonder if thats what they are now telling the students.

Russjac Thanks this.
  11. Russjac

Russjac Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Las Vegas
    I want to relocate to Jax, Fl. If May had some kind of regional thing in the southeast, I would probably stay for a while. But so far I have only seen one shipper we use in Florida (Bagel Bites in Ft Meyer). I'm going to try to get on with an ltl like Saia, or estes .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.