55 New Speed Limit For May

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by OregonJoe, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Joker85

Joker85 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Phoenix Az
    The higher ups would be happy. From rawlins wy to york ne 9.4mpg avg spd 58.3

jomar68 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blue02celi

Blue02celi Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    ooh i was in york a few days ago.... i forgot whats there, petro?

4. Joker85

Joker85 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Phoenix Az
    Yep, I'm at the petro for the night.

5. Trucker Steve

Trucker Steve Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Phoenix az
    Joker is to high caliber for interstate he could do much better!

6. Trucker Steve

Nov 9, 2008
    Phoenix az
    Jones this straw man argument is not even practical. May trucking company is a business. As a employee it is important to realize that if their not making money they will no longer employee you, correct? It would be to your benefit to insure their is profit above cost so that you stay employed. It is what you do you make them money while making yours, This is capitalism!

Also (I have been doing this for a while) I have had 100 mph trucks and I have had 55 mph trucks and at the end the miles are all the same! the only difference being the amount of time spent to = said results. Having a truck that goes 100 mph does not magically entitled you to more miles per week. So their is no real lose just a preconceived one. If I'm not mistake earlier you stated that you have only pushed it to your 11 hrs max a few times so tell me again how that 5mph makes a difference at the end of the week?

I assure you if you that if this were your company and you new that no matter how fast you went your still going to make the same revenue but if you traveled at 55mph you would gain more profit and you stood to make no more trips and increased liability by traveling fast you would slow down. This is what a smart man does. May and many of these other companies didn't get were the did by making bad choices. Companies that go out of business are ones who don't manage their companies. PERIOD.

That might cramp your style but the truth is your only going to work for GREAT company for so long because 1) nothing last for ever all great things change 2) If you got it so good chances are they will not manage to stay around much longer if their not managing their companies! ..

I use to work for the best trucking company in the world i was a MOVIE STAR (ms carriers) out of Memphis TN. Boy we all loved it when we was riding high but that always only last for so long and look were that got them!

7. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    Real deal. Boost my wages, give me more ETA, I drive safer, use less fuel, & if they don't like it, tell them to come get it themselves.

8. Trucker Steve

Nov 9, 2008
    Phoenix az
    That my friend is the right idea and I have been a huge proponent behind the ELOGS HOS RULES and CSA etc.
    Some guys think it is to the advantage to have a FAST TRUCK AND WOULD RATHER RUN PAPER. I say I have nothing to hide,stress about, I have greatly reduced my risk. It is no mistake that some guys go 40 / 50 years and never have a accident and others seem to have their share those who went 40/50 years can't all be LUCK... they have the ability to see a bigger picture then most!

9. Trucker Steve

Nov 9, 2008
    Phoenix az
    TRUTH - if the industry wanted to see real "change" in safety they would get rid of the dated "per piece" system and pay everyone HRLY based on a set time to complete the run (based on fleet averages or x amount of runs.) Pay like and charge like shop hrs! They talk a big game but there will always be those willing to risk their life and the life of others if their is a milage incentive to RUN MORE MILES MAKE MORE MONEY! That my friend is purely stupid.

Like a smart man once told me.. More miles dont equal more money more money equals more money! ya dig?

10. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Trucker Steve, I don't have energy tonight to engage in your reply to my take on the 55 mph deal. All I can say is if working at May Trucking is the cat's meow for you, have it. I'm happy for you!

It's all good...

For me, their operation and business philosophy is not my cup of tea.

This is anecdotal, however, when I left May I had a conversation with someone inside the payroll dept. When I expressed some dismay over why May Trucking didn't seem the least bit interested in trying to work with someone like me (a loyal, high performing employee) as far as home time, routing, etc, this was the reply I received:

"Truck drivers are a dime a dozen, there's plenty more drivers like you out there".

Now, if you believe that mindset toward these companies most precious resource (drivers) isn't indicative not only of many May Trucking insiders, but most large trucking firms out there, I have a bridge to sell you ;-)

May Trucking has a business model predicated upon high turnover, inferior benefits, limited home time, low miles equaling low pay for entry level drivers, etc. That's how they maximize their financial position. However, not ALL trucking companies are surviving in today's current business climate on the same business model.

The problem I have with your presentation of May Trucking specifically is that you tend to emphasize that the grass isn't greener on the other side for most. When in fact, there are many superior opportunities out there for professional truck drivers who keep their nose clean, get a couple years under their belt and move on.

I know, I did it...

Too be honest with you, I sort of resent your characterization of companies like mine having to either go the way of May, Swift, CR England, et al, or they won't survive. You know as well as I do that 90% of this industry is made up of small fleets 1/10th (or less) the size of May Trucking.

Of course the industry is in flux and transition, the federal & state regs are stifling. However, like you, I have confidence the industry will survive and that excellent customer service and consistent top notch performance will rule the day.

Peace to you and yours.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
    Trucker Steve, Paloma and Mac2012 Thank this.
  11. Paloma

Paloma Medium Load Member

May 15, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    Well said!

And I will add this. I run 1 truck, all my expenses are higher than any 1 truck from May. I can't get the bargains May gets on fuel, the best I can do is .10 cents off cash price at the pump .. May get it much, much cheaper than that. And yet, I idle all the time, and make plenty of money.

I cant get the deals May gets on Tires, Oil, Parts and labor and everything else. So to say May "has a business to run" to justify what they are doing to drivers is plain ludicrous.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.